Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Utah  (Read 4189 times)

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
Utah
« on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
Headed to Salt Lake City Utah first week in April. Gonna have a few days to fish!!! Anyone know anything about the area?
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

OLC55

Utah
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
Don't have any first hand knowledge but Collin Carlson is a Utah guy (finpusher.com). He's a real down to earth dude, ties some killer streamer patterns. Look him up, I am sure he could point you in the right direction.

TheYiman

Re: Utah
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »
Eric - call me ... I got you covered.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:25:01 PM »
Eric, thank you for the invitation, I can't go this time, but maybe next. 

Good Luck,
Pal

ps….There is a lot of DIY around there. We went there a couple of years ago and kick myself for thinking I had to hire a guide to figure stuff out.  The internet is a wealth of info.  Trout Bum 2 fly shop is out there and they are extremely helpful guide shop.  Let them know you are friends with Steve Howard and you should have the hook up.

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »
Let them know you are friends with Steve Howard and you should have the hook up.

Pal

What!  :o :-X
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
Provo in Heber, there's some pigs in there.

Lordflash

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
Lived there for 13 years because of a job and school.  Lot of pressure and difficult getting access to some places.  Scofield reservoir has monsters, use a rusty or green woolly bugger sinking tip.  Lots of crawfish in that lake.  Provo is good but crowded and that will be your main challenge. Did good there with grey scuds, sow bug, rainbow warrior and Ray Charles.  Fished it in the canyon not up by Heber. Logan river is good but may be high that time of year.  Bear river can be good.  Green river is Valhalla from what I've heard, never been.  Ice off on Strawberry Reservoir is batty phenomenal but I think that's where they termed the phrase combat fishing. Went up in tubes there one year.  Chunked egg sucking leach on the ice then dragged it till it plopped in the water.  It was crazy action, just one of those days you never forget. I'm originally from Idaho and go back every year. A lot of Utah anglers go to Idaho now.  Utah anglers have a reputation whether deserved or not as well... being less than gentlemanly fisherman. I witnessed four kicking around a fish kill up around McKay Idaho last fall as if playing a game of soccer.  OK, not a capital crime but still distasteful. Yes, I did ask them if they were from Utah and one replied "yea, how'd you know?"  Buy kids books.....  :-[ If you just go over the Utah  Idaho line, I fished the Portneuf river and the Little Bear river in a place called Black Canyon, if I recall.  BHPT, Hairs Ear and the red copper john with the white rubber legs in size #18 was dynamite.  Be careful in that canyon though the wading is treacherous.  Not the current but you can be wading in water two feet deep and step in a hole 8 ft deep and round as a barrel.  I'm not a geologist but the floor of the river in that area is solid rock and those holes must be generated by water using a small rock to carve it out.  I wouldn't even attempt it if I couldn't see bottom.  BTW, my nephew caught a 14 pound rainbow on a chironomid but I'm sworn to secrecy as to the location ;D.  Eat at Cafe Rio, best Mexican salad you'll ever lay your gums on.  Good luck.
I have a degree from the university of life; a diploma from the school of hard knocks and three gold stars from kindergarten of getting the s--- kicked out of me.  - The Blackadder

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »
Welcome to the board Lordflash. Great info, thanks.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

kaisersoze

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:05 PM »
Yoda, I was just there like 3 days ago. I don't know if uve been there but more than any big city in the U.S. I'd live there. It's gonna be hard to keep ur head down looking at the water. It's a cool place w mountains galore. Good luck!!
Who is John Galt?

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 07:34:53 AM »
Yoda, I was just there like 3 days ago. I don't know if uve been there but more than any big city in the U.S. I'd live there. It's gonna be hard to keep ur head down looking at the water. It's a cool place w mountains galore. Good luck!!

I can count 8 times I've bene to SLC, I consider it a good place to land and get the hell out of there, put it on par with EL Paso, July and August it's cheaper place to land and drive north to Logan, then it's a pretty drive to Jackson Hole, dry hotter than hell.

And the people are RUDE

kaisersoze

• FishHead
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 08:33:38 AM »
Yeah I don't agree.
Who is John Galt?

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
weber had easy access off the interstate (84?) at the rest area, just walk down past the picnic area below the small hydro dam.  Not sure how well it fishes but it looked fishy when I was there mid-summer a couple years back.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:39:23 PM »
Been out there more then I can count, would move out there if I had the chance, great fishing, skiing, food, beer, and the people at least to me and my family were more then helpful and polite. I am not referring to the ski slope people, not excluding them, but people in general. 

-Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:21 PM »
Might just be me :o

I've had a different person with me every trip, don't tell them the treatment I've got on previous trips, every single person says the same thing. Granted, I'm in and out real quick. Only visiting I've done is Cabela's, Fishwest and Mudbuddy.

Any location that has a lake that evaporates, is something like twice as salty as the ocean, has to import their water from other basin's and is desert, Ole DD is out.

when you head out of Logan on Hwy 89 towards Bear Lake, I'd like to take a light line rod and fish that stream.

Lordflash

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
Hey folks, I  didn't mean to brand the whole state.  It was actually pretty good living there.  Great schools any kind of ethnic food you can dream of, if you're into that type of thing.  I can only say from my experiences with Utah sportsman in Utah and in Idaho.  If you rent a car in SLC with Utah plates and drive to Idaho, you most likely will get some glares.  It's not you personally just that people in Idaho know what to expect from experience.  I don't have hugs and kisses for Californians either since the "Bruce and Demi" crowd took over the Sunvalley area.  Just hurts to see a great thing polluted and overused and abused by $.  I guess anyone has the to enjoy things but they should be respectful of others.  Oh,  BTW there is a killer BWO hatch on some rivers.  Usually in March I think but it can linger at higher elevations.  Take plenty of emergers and cripples.  Size #16 or #18 soft hackle with green dubbing starling hackel and Z-lon shuck in light brown or copper.   ;D
I have a degree from the university of life; a diploma from the school of hard knocks and three gold stars from kindergarten of getting the s--- kicked out of me.  - The Blackadder