Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Mid Jan Weekend Trip  (Read 3525 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Mid Jan Weekend Trip
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
Hit the water this weekend with my brother Jay, then with a great angler from NY, Joe Goodspeed who made the long drive down to see some thawed southern musky rivers.
Friday was nice:  Jay and I saw several fish, and their chases and lock-in follows became  more aggressive later in the day.  Jay landed two--one small and one  good fish.

Joe and I fished two warmer days on Sat/Sun, and the muskies were just plain stubborn and lazy.  Saw a few nice fish---mostly sluggish follows, and one hookup. Nearly destroyed my jet foot twice on a 2inch deep ledge.

Learned a ton from Joe on his rigging and fly style for deep water winter pool pressured muskies on his home rivers.  Look forward to the next adventure....and muskies that decide to stir.

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Re: Mid Jan Weekend Trip
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »
Great report Travis. I've been spending some time on the water myself the last few weeks when the weather doesn't screw me. We are mostly fishing still water. It's a different game for sure and not being used to blind boat strikes has caused me a few misses. My elbow wasn't prepared for this after a year off. It's still hurting after last weekend. I like to call it Musky elbow.

You guys should plan on coming down sometime.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »
Great trip report Travis. Looks like a good time was had.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

fairweatherfish

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 02:29:05 PM »
Great report as always.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:14:43 PM »
Thanks guys.  I definitely plan on making it west to your waters before the season's over. Yeah, this musky fishing can take a toll on elbows, shoulders, lower back, and fore arm/figure 8 muscles.

Missed a hog on Friday---would have probably been my largest.  We'll wait out this rain and cold spell, and see what follows when the waters settle.