Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Bamboo Rod needs some work  (Read 4273 times)

grubbah

Bamboo Rod needs some work
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »
Hey All.

I have acquired an old bamboo rod that could use a little bit of tlc.  I'm not sure of the exact age of the rod, but for as long as I can remember it was hanging up at my parent's house with the other rods and nobody ever used it.  My father got it from my grandparents years and years ago.  If I had to guess, I'd say its at least as old as I am (30ish + with a big question mark on how much ++)

the rod is about an 8.5' 3 piece.  If I had to guess I'd say 4 weight maybe.

The bamboo itself looks like it is in good condition.  About 12ish inches from the tip there is a very slight bend by one of the guides.  I'm guessing about a 5ish degree bend.  From what research I've done it looks like it can be straightened.

The guides probably all need to be replaced or cleaned up somehow.  The Cork looks like its in decent condition as best as I can tell.

All of this is purely my evaluation with my untrained eye and given the fact that I know just about zilch about bamboo.  a pro might take a look at it, shake his head, and tell me to use it as a back scratcher...

Now, on to my question.  Is there any place here in middle TN that would be recommended to evaluate the rod for me and do the restoration work required?  I understand the value of a good bamboo rod and I'm willing to do whats required to get it done right the first time.  I just want to make sure that I dont make any mistakes on where I take it.

Thanks in advance!

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Re: Bamboo Rod needs some work
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
Talk to Leo at Cumberland Transit.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

JoelO

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:15:23 PM »
I 2nd Mike's recommendation of Leo.  There's a thread dated Mar 27, 2009 on this forum that shows a picture of a bamboo rod Leo built for the Project Healing Waters auction...beautiful piece of workmanship.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »
There's a guy named Leo at Cumberland Transit he might know what to do.

Icthus
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

grubbah

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »
Leo was indeed quite informative.  I took it up there after I got home from the Elk and it turns out that the rod was in much better overall shape than I had feared and only requires a little bit of cleanup which Leo told me how to do.  He even gave me a bit of a history lesson on the origin of the rod which I thought was pretty cool. 

Thanks for the advice all and Thanks to Leo for the great information.  Now its time to put this thing to use!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:21:48 AM »
Dang, I didn't realize that was you. I should have introduced myself. I was hanging out on the bench telling honest fishing stories with Leo.  ;)

Hope to see you again and enjoy that 'boo.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Leo deMonbreun

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:48:37 AM »
You are quite welcome Brad, enjoy that stick and catch toms of fish on it, they are made to fish and enjoy and not to look at (for the most part).  Pardon my rudeness for not introducing you to Steve, you would have enjoyed his company. 

tite lines Brad!!

LD
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »
All good Leo. I should have stepped in and said something. You were just a "little" busy yesterday.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum