Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Old Hickory Bream  (Read 5187 times)

bd

• Global Moderator
Old Hickory Bream
« on: May 08, 2012, 07:50:58 AM »
I got out for a few hours before dark yesterday.  Bluegill and big shellcracker are in high gear.  I caught a bucket full before it was too dark to see anymore.  The bluegill were typical for Old Hickory - decent but just "average" size - but some of the shellcrackers were really nice.

Note for future reference:  cleaning a bucket full of bluegill late into the night sucks when you have to work the next day.

The spawn probably peaked with the full moon on Saturday, so I expect it is on the downhill slide now.  If you want to get the big shellcrackers on Old Hickory while they're shallow and easy to catch, you probably only have a week or two left to do it before they are done.  Find a sheltered cove with a sand or fine gravel bottom and some willow grass, and it's on.

Just before dark, I spotted a few channel cats cruising in the shallow water.  If you like catfish and want a bunch, this is the time to get them.

bd

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Old Hickory Bream
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:48:37 AM »
Nice report BD, sounds like I need to get out and catch a mess for a fish fry.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:24:36 AM »
I'd love to head up to Fall Creek Falls and revisit the bluegill there. It's been years but we used to go every year. Man those bluegill get unusually huge! It's a different game over there. The big ones bed in about 15 to 20 feet of water so you have to do alot of searching but when/if you find them you won't soon forget it. Ultralight spinning rod, plenty of hooks and sinkers, and a tube of crickets is all you need for that trip. You have to rent one of their boats and bring your own battery and trolling motor.

The lake in Standing Stone has a pretty good Shellcracker population and Rainbow Trout too. So many options this time of year.. 
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Travis C.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
The lake in Standing Stone has a pretty good Shellcracker population and Rainbow Trout too. So many options this time of year.. 

They have trout in there now...awesome.

We used to have family reunions there years ago while most on that side were still around. I never knew there were trout in it but there were some monster bass in it.

May be time for another visit.

bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Re: Old Hickory Bream
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »
I'd love to head up to Fall Creek Falls and revisit the bluegill there. It's been years but we used to go every year. Man those bluegill get unusually huge!

Let's go! I'll spring for the boat rental and crickets if I can get a pile of bluegill filets out of the deal.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

DSchlact

Re: Re: Re: Old Hickory Bream
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »
I'd love to head up to Fall Creek Falls and revisit the bluegill there. It's been years but we used to go every year. Man those bluegill get unusually huge!

Let's go! I'll spring for the boat rental and crickets if I can get a pile of bluegill filets out of the deal.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

We were up there the last weekend in April.  Fishing was great...don't forget to go after the Crappie, they are in there too and nice filet size I might add.  Caught enough to feed all 9 of us Saturday night.  You are right on about the bluegill...tube of crickets in about 15 feet of water, git r dun.