Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: PCB last week.  (Read 4934 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
PCB last week.
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:02:25 PM »
I fished last week in St Andrews Bay (very clear green water).We ended up trolling flashy jerk baits to catch jacks and lady fish. Then with a much larger rod we'd hook the jacks and ladyfish through the nose and slow troll them behind the boat. Hold on tight to the rod as the sharks will blow your mind with insane takes! One chased one of our lady fish to the surface and just EXPLODED on it. It was AMAZING to see such an awesome fish catch it's prey right in front of our eyes. My daughters had never seen anything like that and were speechless. It's so awesome to introduce people to this kind of stuff! Especially young people.  I didn't have on wire so all 5 of the sharks we hooked cut themselves loose (60# mono) in short order. I did get a look at a couple and I'm pretty sure they were Blacktips about 4 to 6 feet long. I've caught Blacktips on the fly before and they are one hell of a fighter. For the life of me I don't know why everyone doesn't go after sharks?? Screw Tarpon, these fish are big, they will eat, they are plentiful, and everywhere.

Later in the day we encountered a small group of Dolphins. I ran as close as I could to them and told the girls to jump in. They were over the rails before I could finish talking. For just a few min they got to swim up close and personal in clear water with Dolphins. It was pretty awesome. We spent the most of the week in the Clear water springs and  under the waves swimming with the schools of Lesser Devil Rays, Sting Rays, Jellyfish, large schools of Redfish, triggerfish, sheephead, angelfish, Barracuda, etc etc, around a pier. We were hoping for a shark sighting but it didn't happen. They have respect but not fear under water. I've taught them well. If I lived in FL I'd get into Scuba as big or bigger then fishing. What we see above the water is nothing compared to whats going on under the surface.

I didn't do alot of stills. Most of what I did was underwater video so it'll be awhile before I can get it all put together. I'll put up some more to this thread as I recover from a week of non stop activities.

[attachment deleted by admin for board cleanup]
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TimM

• FishHead
Re: PCB last week.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
I fished last week in St Andrews Bay (very clear green water).We ended up trolling flashy jerk baits to catch jacks and lady fish. Then with a much larger rod we'd hook the jacks and ladyfish through the nose and slow troll them behind the boat. Hold on tight to the rod as the sharks will blow your mind with insane takes! One chased one of our lady fish to the surface and just EXPLODED on it. It was AMAZING to see such an awesome fish catch it's prey right in front of our eyes. My daughters had never seen anything like that and were speechless. It's so awesome to introduce people to this kind of stuff! Especially young people.  I didn't have on wire so all 5 of the sharks we hooked cut themselves loose (60# mono) in short order. I did get a look at a couple and I'm pretty sure they were Blacktips about 4 to 6 feet long. I've caught Blacktips on the fly before and they are one hell of a fighter. For the life of me I don't know why everyone doesn't go after sharks?? Screw Tarpon, these fish are big, they will eat, they are plentiful, and everywhere.

Shhhhh!!   :D

Actually I totally agree.  I don't care who you are it's a hoot to see/interact with these apex predators - especially in shallow water. 

Very.Powerful.Aggressive.Fish

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 05:57:12 AM »
Cool stuff.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Dub

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »
PICS.............Ma, we need PICS..... :o Glad you had a good time.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
I'm always fishing, or shooting something with my camera. This trip I decided was going to be a trip to show the girls some new stuff, mainly underwater exploration. It was a big success as each days adventure seemed to trump the day before. It just kept getting better. So excuse these photos as they are "snapshots" from a nikon colpix AW 100 and not something I spent much time thinking about. Hope you enjoy. The videos are killer but they take a long time to process.

DSCN1370.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1386.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1411.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DJ2A7608.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DJ2A7647.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1254.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1258.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1259.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1261.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DJ2A7694.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1266.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1276.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1282.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1283.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1285.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1286.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1288.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1289.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1290.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1291.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1292.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1297.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1300.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1305.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1307.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1312.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

No idea what this is.

DSCN1317.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1322.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1325.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1329.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

F22's!

DJ2A7868.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1336.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1338.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1344.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

I had to go down deeper then I'm used to going to get to this Starfish.

DJ2A8043.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DJ2A8085.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1366.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1432.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

DSCN1433.jpg by mike Anderson photography, on Flickr

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TheYiman

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:06 PM »
Very cool pictures.  Looks like a blast! 

The unidentified fish is a Lizard Fish.  I don't know about FL but in SC there are pretty scarce.  I've only ever caught one.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »
Thanks.
I caught three of them. One of them quite a bit larger then the one pictured. Strange looking fish and they fight pretty good for such an odd shape.

We also ran into a Stargazer fish but it buried itself before I could film it and I could not find the dam thing to uncover it.

MN Fishing Bum

PCB last week.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
What great memories! 

jkilday4

• FishHead
  • One cast ... just one more ... 'n'then another ...
PCB last week.
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 10:58:50 PM »
Very nice Mike. Looks as Quality as family time can get.

Glad to hear that about sharks. We actually have the option to do that tomorrow.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 05:33:16 AM »
Great shots and good times.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »
Great stuff Mike.  I can't wait until Breelyn is old enough to do all those things.  Looks like you found some amazing water.

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »
Looks like the family had a great vacation. ;)

mnfisher

PCB last week.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
That is awesome!!  Yeah lizard fish are common in Florida.  I have caught dozens.

Aquaholic

• FishHead
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »
Good stuff Mike....thanks for taking us on the ride.   Those underwater shots are great.

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 07:01:57 AM »
Great Pics Mike, Amazing water. My mind is racing on when my little guy gets big enough to enjoy trips like that.
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher