Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Priest Dam  (Read 3056 times)

Rusty

Priest Dam
« on: December 29, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »
I've never fished below Priest Dam, drove by it today and was wondering if you can walk down and fish off the rocks?

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Priest Dam
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:23:41 PM »
You can and you can wade if they are not generating. Hybrids and Stripes run up and they do an Urban Stocking as well in the Winter.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:55:47 AM »
Be warned they have been doing some repairs to the rip-rap below the dam on the East side of the river, and that parking area has been closed lately. Also, repairs to the top of the dam have the West side of the river closed as well as of late.  They were supposed to be done by now with the East side rip-rap repair by now and have it re-opened, but we are dealing with a government agency here, so I would check it out if you are driving from any measurable distance.  Also, water in the river has been very high the past few times I have crossed it - it usually fishes better with a lot less generation.  That being said, I have fished the hell out of it and caught very little in years past and there better places you can go in my opinion.  YMMV,
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

Gary

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:40 AM »
There are no fish below the Percy priest dam. Don't waste your time.  Go to the Caney, I heard they are catching the heck out of them. ;) my buddy and I fish it and that's one too many.

Go catch a fish, just not there,

Lol

Gary

MN Fishing Bum

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
I agree.  I have waded, kayaked, and shore fished this river.  Tons of fishy looking areas but no fish.  Not sure why.