Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Temporarily enchanted  (Read 4591 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
Temporarily enchanted
« on: July 20, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
I found myself in Albuquerque for a conference a week ago, and couldn't resist sneaking away to enjoy some small stream trout chasing and a fish fauna that's dramatically different than Tennessee. My plans to run south for Gila and Apache trout were dashed when I heard from a friend (formerly with NM Game & Fish) that they were still hurting from the big Whitewater-Baldy fire of last year. I'll be back for those… Most of the National Forests were closed due to fires and high fire risk, but we got a bit of rain mid-trip that caused them to be reopened.

The second day of the meeting a friend suggested we bail and make a run north for Rio Grande cutthroats. I couldn't pass up such an offer, it's one of only a few cutt subspecies that I haven't caught, and I've never met a cutt that I didn't like. It was a bit of a hike in, but the valley opened up to a meadow section and grasshoppers scattered with every step.

This was going to be good -- and the first splat of a hopper produced the first of many

I made some new friends -- a Western Terrestrial Garter Snake, Thamnophis elegans

With thunder rumbling off in the distance, I hoofed it up the trail to a lake at about 10,000 ft elevation in the headwaters…

…and was very glad I did.

After the conference ended, a couple other friends and I spent a few days chasing fish across the northern half of the state, in everything from low elevation prairie rivers...

to the mainstem Rio Grande in a few places

from foothill streams...

to some more high elevation creeks looking for trout.

There were lots of cool fish…
Rio Grande Sucker, Catostomus plebeius

Roundnose Minnow, Dionda episcopa

Flathead Chub, Platygobio gracilis

Red Shiner, Cyprinella lutrensis

Longnose Dace, Rhinichthys cataractae

Rio Grande Chub, Gila pandora

as well as some other fun critters

The birds were awesome but other than this blue grouse, managed to elude the camera

There were lots more trout, too. Given that we were mostly looking in tiny headwater creeks you could step across, they were small in stature, but wild and colorful and willing to eat dries if you could get a cast under/through the willows, or get lucky and stumble upon some beaver ponds

I can't wait for a chance to go back

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
Re: Temporarily enchanted
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »
I can almost smell the sagebrush...... Thanks for sharing that beautiful place!

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
That's the area where I learned it all as a boy...
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »
Those places need more Kayaks.  ;D ;D

Lovely places and great camera work Dave. Thanks!
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
Wow.
Just Wow...

Jason DeBacker

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Very nice!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Temporarily enchanted
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 06:17:35 AM »
Very nice Dave. Envious indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »
I keep coming back to this thread. I miss Trout fishing...

Guess we'll have to do a Steelhead trip this fall.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
I keep coming back to this thread. I miss Trout fishing... Guess we'll have to do a Steelhead trip this fall.

I'm always down for steelhead, but I think I'll also be planning another trip somewhere out west next summer.  I'd forgotten how much I missed big mountains, high-elevation meadows and lakes, having EVERY creek you go by have trout, hikes where you can just cruise, and even the long drives on gravel FS roads...

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »
Great stuff Dave.  You've seen some amazing waters.

Travis C.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »
I keep coming back to this thread. I miss Trout fishing...

I am completely with you there. Haven't used my trout stamp but a couple times this year and they were chasing lake fish on Dale.

Beautiful shots Dave. Thanks for the thread.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 08:19:41 PM »
I keep coming back to this thread. I miss Trout fishing... Guess we'll have to do a Steelhead trip this fall.

I'm always down for steelhead, but I think I'll also be planning another trip somewhere out west next summer.  I'd forgotten how much I missed big mountains, high-elevation meadows and lakes, having EVERY creek you go by have trout, hikes where you can just cruise, and even the long drives on gravel FS roads...

I just today today a bud at work, I would give alot to wake up tomorrow in my tent on the Lamar River drainage with hopper buzzing every where, the western high country starts calling about this time of year  :o

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
Beautiful places and nice photography Dave.

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 01:51:22 AM »
Dave glad you got to fish in NM. Those small creeks are where I began fly fishing back in 2004. I had no clue how lucky I was to have the Jemez and Pecos watersheds with in a hour of my backyard. I see the Rio looks just like I remember. Great report by the way. Did you try some Green Chile or some Red Chile while you were there ?
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 06:45:03 AM »
Dave, i gotta say there are not many people i am jealous of...........( well that's not true.... there are a bunch!!!) But you are certainly one of them!!!! Great TR!!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~