Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Anyone fished Cherokee, NC?  (Read 8231 times)

mrl0004

• FishHead
Anyone fished Cherokee, NC?
« on: January 09, 2012, 08:18:16 PM »
I am going with a group next weekend to fish the tribal and trophy waters in Cherokee, NC. Anyone ever fished there? Any advice/tips?
Thanks in advance!
Matt
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
Re: Anyone fished Cherokee, NC?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:57:10 AM »
Matt, Cherokee fishes great, the trophy section is tough(fish have been in there a while and seen everything) I recommend talking to Eugene Schuler, he is a local guide, and owner of the southeast flyfishing board. all the streams fish well and most fish are larger than the trout we are used to seeing in the Elk. and on any given cast...... hang on!!!! i have caught several fish over 25" in cherokee!! wish i could join y'all!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »
Are those fish pellet fed or do they just grow them big there?

bd

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
I think they get plenty of pellets being downstream from the hatchery  ;D
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »
Well, it depends on how the hatchery effluent flow is handled.  There are trout downstream of the hatchery discharge on the Obey river, but they don't get lots of pellets and they don't frequently grow to giant sizes. 

On the other hand, the effluent discharge in a freestone stream might dramatically increase the fertility and the bugs as a result.

It would make a big difference to me if the fish were fed from a feeding station that throws pellets right into the water, vs. just being in a stream that's more fertile due to the hatchery outflow.  Something about fishing to fish that are trained to watch the top for floating pellets makes it not as much of a challenge.

bd

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »
Trust me, from what I hear on this river, the fish are most definitely a challenge. The bigger ones anyways..........

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
Sounds fun.  It's hard to find too many things that are more fun than chasing big fish in a little stream.

bd

Travis C.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »
Do they still have Donaldson Trout and Goldens up there?

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »
If its anything like the "trophy" fish farms I've seen around here it's a far cry from what I'd consider fun. Cool to look at and all but not my idea of Trout fishing. Yea they can be tough to catch. They're used to eating floating trout Chow. I don't have a good floating trout chow fly.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »
I agree, it's not my ideal fishing. I have pretty much decided to fish some streams in the park and maybe a couple of DH streams around Cherokee. The trophy stuff would be a last resort.

lawnman

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
Not sure if you have left to go yet but, I have fished it several times and it's tough but, in a good kind of way.  There is a small fly shop in town that is worthless for any kind of fishing info, it does have a few flies and a chalk board that shows "what they are biting on" and every time I have been in there it says the same thing.  You don't really need a guide, when you buy your permit they will give you a map of the river and access points.  When you get frustrated go fish the heavily stocked tribal waters.  The best area I've found in a nice run behind the Pizza Inn (a good buffet to stuff yourself with) on the main drag in Cherokee.  Have fun, we go up there as a family a couple times a year, the fishing has always been good.

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »
Not sure if you have left to go yet but, I have fished it several times and it's tough but, in a good kind of way.  There is a small fly shop in town that is worthless for any kind of fishing info, it does have a few flies and a chalk board that shows "what they are biting on" and every time I have been in there it says the same thing.  You don't really need a guide, when you buy your permit they will give you a map of the river and access points.  When you get frustrated go fish the heavily stocked tribal waters.  The best area I've found in a nice run behind the Pizza Inn (a good buffet to stuff yourself with) on the main drag in Cherokee.  Have fun, we go up there as a family a couple times a year, the fishing has always been good.

Thanks for sharing. I leave next Friday, so there's still some time to prepare! Do you catch any browns there? Or should I say in any great numbers? It seems all I see are pics of rainbows.....

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »
If its anything like the "trophy" fish farms I've seen around here it's a far cry from what I'd consider fun.

If it's what I think it is - I'd say something like this is a notch up from the "pellet fed pig" water of North Georgia and several miles above the ridiculous trout ponds at Bobwhite Springs, which is I assume what you're referring to.  Not as good as a true wild stream on the other hand.

There are some pay-to-play "trophy streams" here and there that are heavily stocked and carefully managed for catch and release, but they don't pellet feed the fish on a daily basis.  That's not as cheesy as the trout farms.

bd

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
Yea BD those Trout ponds are what I was referring to. This sounds like something different.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

lawnman

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »
Yeah Mike I thought the same thing until i went, no doubt the are stocked fish but, there is a 2.5 mile section that is fly only, catch and release that has some great fishing.  I remember a particular overcast drizzly afternoon, the bow's were coming off like crazy and huge fish were rising everywhere.  It's a pretty cool place.