Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: I tied a fly...  (Read 4740 times)

DSchlact

I tied a fly...
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:57:15 AM »
Well, here is my attempt to contribute/help ensure this place doesn't die...

Like the title says...I tied a fly.  I think it is a wooly bugger.  It took about 3 months from start to finish and probably cost about $50 total.  It doesn't look exactly like any of the 3 crappy pictures I took, but if you apply a weighted average to the three and tilt your head to the side a bit while thinking about what a wooly bugger is supposed to look like...well, that's probably what it really looks like in person.  Only problem is that I'm afraid to fish with it now...I think someone might die if I lose this thing with all the life and money I have invested in it...it gets better from here right?

Dave

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: I tied a fly...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 11:10:54 AM »
Looks good for your first tie.  :D Fish it and catch some fish, if you lose it, start again. It's going to happen.

I remember when I started tying, I started with a wooly bugger, hind sight being 20/20, if I was starting again, I would start with midges to get my technique down, but that is just me. You are definitely on the right path. Now practice, practice, practice.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TheYiman

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
Smallmouth, dog will hunt.

Nice work for your first.

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:19 PM »
Looks great!! That will catch just about anything in freshwater!! 8)
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »
Not bad at all, i'd shorten the tail a tad though, other than that fish 'em.

DSchlact

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »
Thanks fellas...I'll definitely fish it, assuming I actually get a chance to go fishing one of these days  ::)

Grumpy - I noticed the tail looked a little long too...is there a good way to trim it down without losing the natural look...or just tie it shorter next time?

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »
Looks good Dave!  Your flies will look even better once you start drinking beer again. ;D

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 09:37:27 PM »
Fish 'em Dave & shorten them up a little the next time. I've found that a hot fish will nail them, a chaser  you'll feel a tap tap tap as they're going after it & just grabbing tail, which is another topic altogether ;D.

Macdaddy1

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »
I do wish to try fly tying.  Closest I have come is buying white Wulffs and coloring the body with permanent markers (works).  Sounds a bit pathetic now that I have written it down.  I think I would form sentimental attachment to them...like raising a pig.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »
i love bacon ;D