Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: A bit of holiday freedom  (Read 3142 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
A bit of holiday freedom
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »
My wife and I spent Christmas week on a Bahamian island well-known as a DIY bonefish destination.

We took a single inflatable paddleboard (NRS Mayra) along this time to save a bit of weight and hassle. Our checked bags still didn't make it through our connection in Nassau and onto our island with us until the next morning. On island time, I'm OK waiting a bit.

Turns out the house we stayed at had a couple poly SUPs and a small flotilla of kayaks -- wish we would have known that ahead of time!

Our house overlooked a beautiful sandy bay, with some mangrove-lined channels and flats nearby. On a previous visit, I'd done pretty well in the channels -- the light sand made spotting fish comparatively easy, and there were enough fish cruising through at the right tide levels to be fun. Most of these were smaller fish. The marl flats and grass beds, on the other hand, had some much bigger fish around.

We drove around a fair bit, exploring, checking out new beaches or trying to get access into some out-of-the-way creek systems, but I spent most of my fishing time on the flat behind the house.

There are a thousand ways to blow a shot at a bonefish. I think I've hit most of them. I spent a lot of time just watching, walking slowly around the flats, trying to get more of a feel for patterns of movement and working on my ability to spot fish over dark bottoms. I tried to set myself up on a flat so I could slowly stalk downwind, with the sun at an angle giving the best visibility. This seemed to guarantee that I'd go about 30 yards and hear a splash behind me to find a fish or three cruising straight at me, directly upwind and right in the glare. I botched the vast majority of these.

I had a blast just observing the way bonefish work a flat. In the right conditions, they tail much more aggressively than redfish or carp do -- some would get so excited that their tail and a third of their body would be out of the water! This island doesn't seem to have the big schools of hundreds of fish that some others do, but I had evenings when I'd look up and there'd be a  dozen fish tailing across the flat. I didn't get a lot of fish, but felt I'd truly earned every single one I caught.

They're just a sublime fish, and I never get tired of the liquid silver and all of the reflections off of them. 

I tied a LOT of flies for the trip, but not enough flies with heavy weight (for fish cruising the beaches in 3-4' of water on the high tide) or more importantly, no weight (for the tailers on the low). I lost more than a few to cudas, which seemed to be everywhere.

I got a couple small lemon sharks that happened to cruise by, as well as a plethora of bycatch -- small snappers, grunts, grouper, etc.

I spent a couple afternoon high tides fishing and snorkeling a rocky outcrop on the sound side. A series of boulders, ledges, and caves made for pretty entertaining fishing. This area had a treacherous eroded limestone surface that was fly line hell. I lost a big Nassau grouper that managed to make it back to the bottom and duck under a ledge, and a big cuda that cut me off on the coral. I was outgunned with a 9 -- a 12 weight would have come in handy here!

It's just an amazing island, with incredibly friendly people and outstanding food. We missed the annual Junkanoo and all of the associated parades and revelry because we (well, mostly me) had had a bit too much Cuban rum the night before. Poor planning on my part… but incredible rum! It was pretty fun to enjoy a Christmas in such a different culture.

All in all, an awesome trip. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

TimM

• FishHead
Re: A bit of holiday freedom
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »
Very nice photos and TR - thanks for sharing!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »
Very nice work Dave. Beautiful pictures and an awesome trip report.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 12:39:07 PM »
Nice, makes me wish I was there instead of here :D

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 01:46:41 PM »
Awesome report!! Looks like you had a blast!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:23:48 AM »
Dang it Dave....
Crystal and I said we were going to do this trip for X Mas all along.  Instead, we wound up in Memphis with a week of drizzly weather.  Thanks for reminding me of what I missed.   Too bad you didn't get the grouper.

Looks like a great time....can't wait to fish waters like those.

Happy New Year

TW

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 07:26:13 AM »
You made the right choice, water here is brown & the sky is dark. Thanks for brightening up my day ;)

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 04:10:13 PM »
Awesome report, I love the islands and hope to retire in S. Andros or Eleuthera one day.  The culture is amazing.  Driftwood and I would have either the priest, dr, or guides come over over night for dinner when we were there.  Those folks would laugh and tell stories till we would go the inlet and go jack fishing. 

Thank you for sharing,
Craig
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

JEMdad

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »
Which out island did you visit?

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
Who is Craig ?  Does he know PAL ?
I just don't care!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 06:35:45 AM »
Who is Craig ?  Does he know PAL ?

isn't he the guy that wears those flower pattern shirt's & won't post any pics of them :D

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »
Nice TR Dave!  Thanks