Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: A Montana TR  (Read 4179 times)

Aquaholic

• FishHead
A Montana TR
« on: August 03, 2013, 12:01:18 AM »
My wife and I went up to MT over the 4th of July to visit some friends.  We were going to fish around White Sulfur Springs and then head over to Craig to fish the Missouri.  I have a some friends who family homesteaded near WSS.  Their property has some great water.  We fished some fantastic lakes, some fast pocket water in a canyon and slow meadow water that meandered through cow pastures.

We landed in Bozo, rented a car and headed over to WSS.  We met our friends at a bar in town and this was on the bar... 

Our cabin had terrible views, lots of people and congestion, traffic.....

We fished some diverse water during our 3 days.  We caught some browns and bows on top on one of the lakes.  Then got out the sink tips and leaches and pulled some super-brookies off the bottom.  We took a hike into a canyon and fished some fast pocket water.  We saw a bunch of goldens and threw foam all afternoon.  We caught a bunch of 10-14" fish with the occasional bigger fish.  Our last day we fished a cool brown trout stream. The sun was high and hot and you had to be relatively stealthy.  We threw streamers, took a nice lunch and beer break and then hit it again late in the afternoon.  We were lucky to have some pretty good fishing....

]

We woke up and hit the highway pretty early.  There was a creek about an hour away that I had heard about and wanted to explore.  Access was a hike down, back up, then back down...cliffed out...back up again and down, cliffed out, up again.  You get the picture.  We didn't catch any big fish, but they live in this creek.  We caught a bunch of fish, broke some good ones off and saw some real big fish. 

We got over to Craig around 8pm, grabbed a bite to eat and crashed out.....Woke up the next day and put on the Missouri at 6am.  The days had been hot and fishing was best early.  There were some nocturnal stones and you could still find them on the water in the morning.  We got pretty lucky with the weather.  We had some clouds at least part of the time each day...but for the most part, the fishing would shut off at 2-3pm.  We wade fished one day and I rented an Adipose skiff for several days.   

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: A Montana TR
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 06:21:48 AM »
Fantastic pics & TR!

Grumpy

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 06:59:55 AM »
Awesome trip and nice photos!  Thanks for sharing. ;)

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
A Montana TR
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 08:29:05 AM »
Absolutely incredible TR and photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »
Yes, that looks like a good fishig trip.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 02:27:46 PM »
The best TR in a long time---looks like you have a good partner

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

TheYiman

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
Looks like an awesome trip!  That canyon stream you hiked into looked unbelievable.

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »
Sweet Jesus! Amazing TR!

Thank you.

I was about to post a Mtn Stream Brookie report but I think I'll wait now..
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:34:48 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun!
Thanks for sharing the narrative and the pics.
Think my favorite is the one where you're casting into the shadow of that bluff.

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
Good stuff Hunter. That looks like a hell of a trip!
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 04:31:07 PM »
This is another thread the keep pulling me back. Great camera work too!
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »
Montana at its finest...bright sunny skies and stunning trout with perfect markings. I bet it made your heart race seeing the gorgeous browns battle out of clear water.
That will be a tough one to top.

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
Spectacular report and photos! I'm always amazed at just how many big wild fish some of those rivers can support -- they're just bug making machines!