Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cotton Mouth  (Read 18618 times)

bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Cotton Mouth
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 05:08:48 PM »
I think that is the most vivid coloring I've ever seen on an adult cottonmouth in Tennessee.  It must be a relatively young one, but it looks pretty good-sized.  Most of the time, western cottonmouths tend to turn almost black as they get older.  The eastern and florida subspecies retain a little more color.  Maybe he just shed his skin.

You can see some cottonmouths in the Mississippi River basin in West Tennessee and Mississippi, but I don't think I've ever seen one near Nashville.  I almost stepped on a massasauga once in West Tennessee too.  They've got more poisonous snakes than we do here (another reason not to live near Memphis :) ).

I've encountered a couple timber rattlers in the Stone Door area, and I saw a few dead near the Caney last year on the road between Betty's and Kirby.  I've never seen a copperhead in the wild around here - every time someone says they've found one, it turns out to be a water snake or corn snake.

bd

kaisersoze

• FishHead
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
I wouldn't know about any of the above. Look away and I'm eastbound out of sight when someone yells snake.
Who is John Galt?

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 10:21:13 PM »
They've been sited on Turnbull by a reliable source, that's to blame close.

Grumpy

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 10:53:20 AM »
I could have gone a couple more years without reading this thread!  :P
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »
I was kicking around online and found this .pdf, with some interesting information on cottonmouths and how to identify them.

http://www.tennsnakes.org/Cottonmouth%20Brochure.pdf

The range map in the bottom corner of the first page caught my eye.  It lists an "introduced population" of cottonmouths in Coffee County.  WTF?  Who goes around stocking cottonmouths?  ???

bd

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 01:13:14 PM »
Back in the 70's, My uncle killed a Cotton Mouth in Van Buren Co. and I have only seen water snakes since then...
I am with you who on earth would introduce cotton mouths?
I like the underside of the tail id tip on your pdf....

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »
I am with you who on earth would introduce cotton mouths?

On second thought, maybe we could stock some on the Caney to cut the canoe traffic down.   ;D

bd

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 06:25:33 AM »
There are already plenty of Rattlers in the area.
I think getting someone to hide around the cave above Betty’s and play the banjo as the canoes float by might put the fear into them. Most of them don’t seem to get out of the city much. Last year Jarrod and I laughed all day when each group came by and saw the cows standing in the river. They all wanted to call someone to save those poor stuck cows. No kidding, several of them asked us who they should call. And the rest would paddle over to take a picture. Cows!,, there just Cows!! I kept waiting and praying one would try to pet the Bull. I had my camera on standby. :D
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

jrod

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »
 The lovely TWRA you just got love them,i've heard rumore of black bear around the preist area. Really dont know how much truth is to it.We already have enough snakes around to go adding cottenmouths to the list.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »
The lovely TWRA you just got love them,i've heard rumore of black bear around the preist area. Really dont know how much truth is to it.We already have enough snakes around to go adding cottenmouths to the list.

Well, like them or not, there are Cottenmouths in this area. As I have stated previously, they were around when I was growing up and I am sure they haven't died off.

This is good article: http://nashville.about.com/cs/animalspets/a/snakes.htm

There is a likelihood that some get misidentified and there is a possibility that the one on the first page could be. Look at the bands on the body compared to the photo from the link.

Anyway, like everyone, I don't mind seeing them, I just don't want to interact with them.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 12:30:45 AM »
I dont mind seeing them either, as long as I have just blasted them with the 12 gauge.
I just don't care!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 06:43:47 AM »
I dont mind seeing them either, as long as I have just blasted them with the 12 gauge.

You ought to be pretty busy with that snake ranch of yours, did you ever get that 10'anapyrattlmouth that blame near turned the tractor over that day :o

Grumpy

Travis C.

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 08:08:26 AM »
There are already plenty of Rattlers in the area.

Here is a study on Timber Rattle Snakes on Center Hill Lake pages 6 & 7 of the PDF.

http://www.orn.usace.army.mil/pao/pdf/2007/JuneDigest.pdf

Little Man

• dansharley.com
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »
Speaking of snakes, I stumbled across these two at my house a couple of weeks ago. They started in a flower bed in the front yard before rolling out into the driveway. Naturally, I grabbed my camera, put on some "boom chicka bow wow" music and tried to direct.  :D

I'm sure that these two will inspire even more snake activity at the home. But, as these are kingsnakes and as they enjoy eating copperheads and other poisonous snakes, I'm sort of ok with it. Just sort of.

Please keep the cottonmouths to the west and south of us. I'm originally from Memphis, and I had my fill of them when I was younger. But, in my 15 years of living in Middle Tennessee, I've seen plenty of copperheads, water snakes, rat snakes, garter snakes and black racers ... but never a cottonmouth or rattlesnake. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 02:09:23 PM »
Speaking of rattlers. I was mountain biking through Percy Warner park in the late 90's before the granola eaters closed the trails to bikes and a group of us ran across a really fat timber rattler sunning on the side of the trail.

I wanted to ride off but one of the guys decides it would be a good thing to kill it. Ummm, that requires, even with a stick, to get close. No one got bit but I always thought that was the worst decision he ever made.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum