Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Ruint before, now just wrecked.  (Read 3559 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
Ruint before, now just wrecked.
« on: June 23, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
For the past year I've had recurring nightmares of a day last summer, when a big tarpon rolled up on my fly (the one good shot of the trip). I got buck fever and stopped stripping, the fish lost interest and swam off. A cousin-in-law of mine happens to have the tarpon bug nearly as bad as I do, and has been chasing them since he was a kid. He booked three days over the Father's Day weekend in the Panhandle with a couple guide buddies of his, and I weaseled my way along.

Reports from earlier in the week were good… but things started winding down the day we showed up. Most of the fish we saw were running deep, almost glued to the bottom.

We both had decent shots on day 1. I managed an eat towards the end of the day, and damned if I wasn't so shocked at seeing the fish actually open its mouth that I trout set, pulling the fly right out of its mouth. That gaping black maw will be my new nightmare for awhile.

Day two featured fewer fish, but my cousin found a happy fish and popped #30 tippet off on the set.

Day three was bleak. Very few fish, bad glare from clouds, a choppy sea, and no predictable direction -- so we had about two seconds to take a shot. Ran off the water by a massive thunderstorm.

I'll be back… even if it has to wait until next year.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Re: Ruint before, now just wrecked.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:07:10 AM »
Aw shucks!  I was hoping for a stellar report of rolling fish and gills rattling.  It's amazing how fast the ocean can change from a calm sunny paradise to an uninviting chaos of wind and glare.  Hope to line up a trip on that part of the coast someday.

Jay and I are gearing up for our Stuart/Tampa trip in a week.  Any new fly ideas for these guys?

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:08:46 AM »
Jay and I are gearing up for our Stuart/Tampa trip in a week.  Any new fly ideas for these guys?

Text me your address. I'll send you a box. Tied about 16K for the trip, used two.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:42:54 AM »
Thanks!  PM sent.

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:33:09 AM »
you'll get em next time!!  8)
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
there is next time.

You fish near St. George?
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »
I'm still not worthy to even pursue that fish yet. You'll get 'em next time!
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »
Nice photos and report!  Better luck next time.