Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Fall day and a Polk County stream  (Read 6338 times)

oldmanelrod

Fall day and a Polk County stream
« on: October 22, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
This morning I sat underneath the laurel and watched a maple leave float down the mountain stream. It is a cool, blue sky day. As I sat there I watched the trout occasionally rise to bite at some unseen insect floating down the stream. Here and there a yellow or red leaf floated down and landed on the forest floor. Beside me sat my Weimaraner, Kaiser, waiting for me to catch a fish. It has taken me three years to get him to not charge up and down the creek side, spooking ever fish for miles upstream. He is my fishing partner and no person or animal gets near without Kaiser letting me know. It is a good feeling to have him with me.
After a few minutes of studying the pool I made a cast to the top of the pool and slowing worked my lure, a 1/64 oz. Beatle Spin minus the spin, down the pool. As I had made my cast Kaiser tense up but remained seated next to me. Out of nowhere there was a flash of color and my line went tight and after a minute or so of excitement I had landed a beautiful 6” rainbow. Kaiser nearly knocked me down wanting to smell the fish I held in my hand. I gently lowered my hand into the water and released the fish and then woke from my day dream.
Kaiser and the trout have both been gone for 30 years now but I hold found memories of both in my mind and you know that the Polk County stream is still there and I hear it calling my name. It won’t be as enjoyable fishing by myself but God’s many gifts of fall leaves, clear water and a beautiful fish are still there to be enjoyed.

Bfish

• FishHead
Re: Fall day and a Polk County stream
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:38:04 PM »
Sounds like one of my favorite Polk county streams. I need to get back and visit a few that I have not seen in a decade.

oldmanelrod

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 08:14:03 PM »
Sounds like one of my favorite Polk county streams. I need to get back and visit a few that I have not seen in a decade.

More like 25 years for me. Someday I will return.

fairweatherfish

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:47:56 PM »
Very nice post. Thanks

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »
well written...
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 07:55:13 AM »
So well done. I love small stream fishing.

Thank you for sharing.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum