Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Last fish of 2016....What A Day!!  (Read 3578 times)

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
Last fish of 2016....What A Day!!
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:16:13 AM »
What a day!!! I wrestled with weather or not to go, water was going to be high and stained, the sun was going to be bright, the wind was going to blow!! But What's an addict to do??? I got to the launch and the water was high, but surprisingly enough it wasn't as stained as I expected! I put Vader in the boat and backed down the launch as I have hundreds of times before, hooking the bow line to the trailer winch strap.......But this time the boat went out a bit further than usual...and a bit further, and further!!!!
Had I forgotten to tie off to trailer??? I jumped out of truck and watched my boat and more importantly my dog floating away at 3k cfs!! I quickly checked my pockets and jumped in... :o :o :o By this time the boat was at least 50 yards down river! I caught up to the boat, but with several layers of wet clothes on I couldn't climb back in the boat!!! after several attempts we were now 150 yards down river with steep bluff on the side of the river we were on!! I was able to swim the boat to a rock that enabled me to climb in. Now I had to start the boat and run back up to the truck! My first thought when I got to the truck was, Thank God for dry bag full of clothes... And.... I have seriously re-thought  my use of a PFD while fishing alone!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvFzXy6FE4o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uB8G9zC2ok

"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Last fish of 2016....What A Day!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »
At least the dog has a life vest :o I know we all think we're invincible, should i ever geat another boat & fish by myself, a life jacket will be at the top of the list, couldn't hurt even fishing with someone as well.
You've got it down pat, love the videos.

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »
Saweet!!
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 01:55:50 PM »
Glad you are ok!!

Nice work!!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jgray

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 03:01:46 PM »
Glad you're ok. NRS makes some PFDs you'll forget you're wearing. I wouldn't think of fishing moving water or cold water without one.

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
Stholquist and Astral also have some very comfortable pfds, IMO they are made of a little bit longer lasting material than NRS (which are still good).

Dad (80) fell into the water twice this year. Once at the boat dock, and once while out in the middle of the lake.  I am pushing him hard to get a hydrostatic inflatable, especially since he mostly fishes solo.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »
I've started wearing one when I'm carping by myself, could fall out and watch the boat disappear with trolling motor running or could fall and hit your head, I got to go when God is ready for me but I don't plan on speeding it up

oldmanelrod

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »
Eric,
1. Thanks to the Lord that you did not die and that you were able to recover your boat and dog.
2. Thanks for sharing the videos. Super cool.