Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: New Mexico Trout Questions?  (Read 2907 times)

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
New Mexico Trout Questions?
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:41 AM »
I am planning a trip to northern New Mexico in mid to late May and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts/advice.
I would prefer the smaller rivers and creeks. I have done some research and think there are some areas where run off should not be a problem.

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
Re: New Mexico Trout Questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:11:01 PM »
there are to many small creeks to mention in Northern NM but if you have an idea on where you will be fishing out of I can possible point you in the right direction. If you are fishing out of the Taos I would look at the red river/ rio grande river and their feeder creeks.
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:10:04 PM »
I was hoping you'd see this thanks!
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:56:19 PM »
Had a feeling I would hear from you! I will be in the Taos area and have a decent guide book I have been studying..... Hopefully I can post some pictures in late May.

countryflyfisher

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:26:04 PM »
Well you should be on the back end of run off for a normal year the later you go in May the better chance you will have of getting good flows. You have a shot at hitting a great Caddis Hatch on the Rio Grande if the flows work out if they are below 800 @ embudo Station I would Hike into the Gorge and fish for wild brown and rainbow trout. If the Rio is a little bigger than you are wanting to fish then see if  flows are less than 75 cfs on the Red River below the Hatchery I would look at fishing there. It is a Medium freestone that can produce some better sized fish.  There is the rio pueblo and all the tributarys that feed into it They are smaller freestones  that can provide some true solitude and plenty of fish and higher up you will run into spome Rio Grande cutthroats.If you find everything is blown out check The Rio Chama below EL Vado Dam it is a great Brown trout fishery fish  buggers the bigger the better There is also The Rio Costilla which has some great meadow fishing  The Flies are standard stuff lots of Caddis imitations size 16 to 18s (  prince Nymphs ( Purple and standard ) Copper Johns ( red and green esp) Royal wulfs size 16 and 14. There is a fly shop in Taos called the Taos Fly Shop the Streits Own it they know the rivers and creeks better than anyone in that area. I know this is kind of a general overview I hope this helps a little bit
I will probally email you some more specfics as time gets closer

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nm/nwis/current/?type=flow  Stream Flow site  
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:46:16 PM »
Dang you've got me wanting to head over there.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:58:42 PM »
Come on May!
THANKS!

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »
+1 Rio Chama!  Great fishing. 

I have fished the Rio Grande from its headwaters in Colorado well down into areas of New Mexico. There is some great water in northern NM.  And then there is the food!  On man!!!  :o

Have fun,

"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:42:22 AM »
Dang you've got me wanting to head over there.

My thoughts exactly! 

Quote from: toddro
And then there is the food!

I agree 100%
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
Dangit Jason, now you've gone and got me all home sick.

I always wanted to fish that gorge, but never had the opportunity. Dangit.  Guess I'll just go home from work today and make some red enchiladas instead.

Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

countryflyfisher

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Ron you have some Red Chili ???????  I m now  offically jealous

countryflyfisher

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »
I'm lucky. Santa brought me some from Hatch for Christmas.  ;D
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

countryflyfisher

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »
Hey Dbradyh are you still heading to NM ?

countryflyfisher

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »
No, had to cancel due to having to get a new truck, take care of flood damage, and having my girlfriend move in....
My life has become a sad country song!