Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cold Crappie - Hot Bluegill  (Read 1343 times)

rsimms

• Scenic City Fishing Charters
Cold Crappie - Hot Bluegill
« on: April 06, 2007, 07:28:46 PM »
Headed out on Chickamauga with Bill Wester from Toledo, Ohio this morning to check on the crappie. On the very first trolling pass at daylight we had 6 or 8 fish with three keepers in the boat in the first ten minutes. I thought we were golden and then "boom!"  Nothing... just like you'd flipped a switch. Trolled another hour and caught 3 or 4 little dinks. We went and hit a couple of spots casting... nothing. Ended up at one of my bluegill honeyholes. Had to fight the wind but they were there, which is good because Bill loves bluegill. We caught about 30 small ones and had 15 or 20 keepers, plus another keeper crappie. Fun part was when Bill hooked a 5 lb. blue cat on his tiny little ultralight with 4 lb. test line. It was an interesting battle, but he won. Will have to add picture later. I don't know if slow crappie bite is due to cold, or due to the fact that they're about done anyway. But it is obviously time for me to transition to bluegill and catfish.