Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency-Region III  (Read 6146 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency-Region III
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:10:24 PM »
The Hiwasse River and Cane Creek Park were stocked with rainbow trout yesterday. Today, Chilhowee Lake was stocked with adult rainbow trout and fingerling lake trout.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency-Region III
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:51:14 PM »
That's real good being the HI is running 7000 CFS

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »
Why does everybody get so excited about the Hiwassee?  Was it drastically different in past decades or something?

I hear many people talk about it like it's a beautiful fly fishing mecca, but every time I research it, it looks like a very marginal fishery with few fish over 14 inches, and I wonder why it's worth the drive.

MN Fishing Bum

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 03:26:55 PM »
Been there once.  I think it is known for dry fly action.   

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »
Very wide river, and being mostly inside the National Forest, very scenic.  Dry fly action is good almost year around.  Being so wide, lots of space, so it seldom feels crowded (even with heavy rec. tube and kayak use). Dam controled with consistent schedule, especially in the summer time, which makes scheduling a trip much easier than the other tailwaters.  Not the place for trophy trout, but a interesting place for numbers. 

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »
Why does everybody get so excited about the Hiwassee?  Was it drastically different in past decades or something?

I hear many people talk about it like it's a beautiful fly fishing mecca, but every time I research it, it looks like a very marginal fishery with few fish over 14 inches, and I wonder why it's worth the drive.

yeh bd, decades ago it was a great fishery, still good for dries & stocked fish & still one of the prettiest rivers in the state or about anywhere for that matter.
I'd just as soon go bluegill fishing as to go back & fish there, remember what it once was.

Grumpy

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »
EDIT....A sleeper  warm water fishery.  I'd go there for those guys, but you have to maneuver some tricky ledges.

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »

Dammitson!

8) 8) ::)

Based on a number of things I can say that this really does seem to be a hit or miss fishery (for multiple species via multiple techniques) that requires MUCH sacrifice to understand/pattern from anywhere other than next door. 

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 09:34:13 PM »
I'm going to fish it more this year. For Trout,, from a Kayak.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »
I'm going to fish it more this year. For Trout,, from a Kayak.
Let me know, if you need/want company as I am local

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 10:30:32 PM »
Shoot me a PM anytime it's right Bfish.

John M

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 01:01:28 AM »
I floated the upper section from powerhouse to Towee twice a few weeks ago when the temps were 70 before the rains. We landed about 80 between the three of us and most were on drys. Beautiful float but all were stockers in the 12-14 range. I learned to trout fish o this river and it is always nice to get back there.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:18:18 AM »

yeh bd, decades ago it was a great fishery, still good for dries & stocked fish & still one of the prettiest rivers in the state or about anywhere for that matter.
I'd just as soon go bluegill fishing as to go back & fish there, remember what it once was.

Grumpy

Well stated.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

oldmanelrod

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
Used to be great be great, still good. Once the Little T was dammed up the pressure on the Hiwassee doubled over night it seemed. The trophy section of the Big Bend does hold some nice fish. If you don't want to float you can walk the rails from reliance up and get access to some places others look over. Several of the smaller streams in the area do hold some vary spooky wild fish.