Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Holston Bound  (Read 2253 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Holston Bound
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:50:16 PM »
Packing up the gear to head  back home on another dental practice scouting / fishing expedition for a week.  My brother's latest report is of shallow busting stripers on spooks......I can't wait!!!  I'll come back with some photos if we find anything.

My Nissan is getting a little unpredictable ( electrical stuff), so if anything happens near Nashville, I might need a good recommendation on a good mechanic----If I can get to Kingsport, I've got the repair covered.  So I might call on one of you guys if anything happens.
Man, I hate driving a POS  truck! :(
Tight lines,

Travis

pseshooter300

Re: Holston Bound
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 03:49:56 PM »
where abouts are you gonna be fishing.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:00:25 PM »
Rogersville mainly...so far, not much luck.  My time on the water has been limited due to business, but should make it out for topwater this Thurs and Fri before I return to Memphis on early Saturday AM.  Water is really low and clear on the Holston for this time of year (Where's the rain????).  The low water and O2 combined with the previous cold spell really has a lot of the fish behavior out of whack.  Have you done any good with the smallies??

pseshooter300

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:34:57 PM »
i went today and did not catch but one small small fish. I cant figure out what is going on. I wish i could hook up someone that really knows where to fish for these smallies at. I dont have a little john boat so i just wade. But maybe i will find them sooner or later.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 05:59:44 PM »
If you can get a means to float, I've heard some great reports from those who have floated from Laurel Run down and even further into Phipps Bend.  Otherwise, try wading around in the North Fork when the water warms up a bit.  May usually brings a lot of previously nesting bass  to be caught on topwater ( or so I've been told).  In summer time, when the water gets a little murky, you can wear them out on Rebel crawdads all over that river (N.Fork) in the deeper holes.

We ran into a couple in the lower Watauga river where it empties into Boone accidentally while casting for stripers(which we never found).  The few random smallies caught were FAT females still full of eggs---caught on storm lures and other baitfish patterns.

Travis