Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Beer, bbq, elk and brookies...  (Read 4758 times)

mrl0004

• FishHead
Beer, bbq, elk and brookies...
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »
A buddy and I have been talking about doing a camping/fishing trip to the park for some time now. Given that it is now shut down, I'm glad we went when we did. We headed out last Friday after work and after stopping for provisions, made it to the campsite and set up in the dark.

The next morning, we tried to fish down low to see if we could score some browns, but the water was a little high and fast for my liking. I did catch a few cockroaches, I mean rainbows.

After a slow morning of fishing we headed back to camp to decide where to fish the afternoon over a nice cup of camp coffee and an omelet burrito.

We decided it would be best to hike way up the trail (at least 2 miles) and start fishing from there. Fishing was extremely slow, but the scenery was nice.

I had a few strikes that I missed and a decent brown that I lost at the net. Losing that fish hurt. We hiked out to walk up further and noticed another visitor had come and gone since we entered the stream.

It wasn't long that we figured out why fishing was so slow. There were several fisherman ahead of us. A couple were fly fishing and a couple of spin fishers. So we decided to call it quits and head back to camp for a hearty meal.

The next morning we decided to hit a very small brook trout stream that is one of my favorites in the park. It's very tight fishing, but the brookies are usually willing to hit a dry fly, getting your fly to them is the hard part. You have to bow and arrow cast almost exclusively, and if you do that correctly, then you have the challenge of setting the hook with lots of thick rhododendron overhead.

It wasn't long before I had one of the smokies finest specimens to hand...

We both caught fish out of this hole.

Some more pics from the stream...

I caught one more before time to go...

After we got a much needed ego boost from hungry natives, we made our way to Cataloochee, enjoying the scenery along the way.

I wish I would have known how crowded Cataloochee is on a Sunday afternoon. It felt like Spring break at Panama City on the strip. Not to mention a horse trailer that had slid off the road coming in that held us up for a while. We finally arrived and set up camp before we headed out to fish.

We headed up the trail to fish a stream I had a lot of success on the last time I was here, only to find we were fishing behind someone again. At least the scenery was nice...

Since the fishing was over for the day, might as well go check out the elk. The elk were on fire this trip. You could hear them bugling while fishing, it was an awesome experience. On the way out, a cow crossed the trail right in front of me. I figure she was heading to the bugling bull.

They were definitely out in the fields...

After another long day it was time to head back to the campfire for food and relaxation.

The camp lantern attracted quite the collection of trout food as well...

Dessert was also a welcome treat after a long day...

Early the next morning, we went to check out the elk again, sans all the annoying crowds.

I then tried a creek that I've never fished before, and was hoping for better fishing. Right off the bat, I caught a nice brookie.

For some reason, after that fish, it was all cockroaches again.

On the way out, I noticed a ruckus in the woods. After hearing a bugle, I was shocked to see another whole group of elk.

I was a little close to that bull and he came trotting my way briefly before stopping to chase another cow. Those things are massive. I thought I would have to do some jousting with my fly rod, and luckily I didn't have to change my waders.

After a long 3 days, we called it quits and decided to go ahead and head back. Although the fishing was slower than I was accustomed to, it was still a heck of a long weekend. I can see lots more camping up there in my future, assuming it opens back up.
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

mnfisher

Beer, bbq, elk and brookies...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »
Great trip report and pictures! 

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Beer, bbq, elk and brookies...
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:04:42 AM »
Great report as usual. We were up there last weekend too. We decided to explore a new place so we hiked down to Deep Creek from Newfound Gap but we started too late and weren't prepared for that steep of a hike and barley made it to the creek before we had to turn back and hike up the mtn. Its a Pretty steep hike and we covered roughly 1200ft of gain in 2.5 to 3 miles. We had a very close encounter with a Bear from the road. I didn't bring my camera on this trip...

We decided to fish little river Sunday but the water was very pushy. We managed a few really nice Rainbows on nymphs. The park was extremely crowded last weekend. Not used to that many cars, but it was the straight pipe motorcycles that really mess the place up. I hope they ban those things in parks soon. What is with people that find enjoyment in messing up someone else's good time these days?
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
Great TR and pictures. For some reason, I am now hungry!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »
Looks like you did everthing right on that trip! Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures....... my office now seems really small!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing, heading to my favorite area in a few weeks, hope to get a few pics myself.

Grumpy

JoelO

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »
I was up there last week as well.  We camped at Elkmont Tue-Sun.

My brother caught a 16.25 in brown Tuesday evening...I didn't get to see it and, naturally, I was the only one with a camera. 

We hiked back to Enloe Creek/Ravenfork on Friday...1500 ft of elevation gain over 1.9 miles to Hyatt Ridge before you drop 800 ft over the next mile to the Ravenfork.  We hiked another mile to Enloe and enjoyed some great spec fishing.  We had the same time issue as Mike.  By the time you hike back in there, fish a little bit, its time to head out unless you get a real early start.  There was a bear warning sign at the Enloe creek campsite and we saw tracks on the trail...no sightings though.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »
Nice report---thank you for putting in the time to put that together,

Glad you had some eggs too,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

kaisersoze

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:38:11 AM »
 :o
Who is John Galt?

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 07:40:11 AM »
Great report Matt. ;)