Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Running Line  (Read 1763 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Running Line
« on: January 28, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
Well, I’ve tried so many lines over the years I thought I’d share with you all some of the info gleaned.

Mono Running lines are just better 90% of the time. That’s my opinion of course, but I think I’ve spent enough time casting many brands of integrated lines to form for a valid argument that they just aren’t as efficient to cast big flies all day, and they don’t last as long. They do have times when they shine and that’s on really cold days so long as it’s a cold weather line.

My three favorite Mono Running lines
1.   Berkeley Big Game 30 or 40 Pound in chartreuse (I like to see my running line) The cool thing about this is you can get a 5 year supply for less than $10.
2.   Suffix Elite 25 Pound
3.   Ande Tournament (green)  50 pound (if you just have to have a thicker running line)

I use bulk T14 and a kitchen scale to get my sink tips weighed out to where I want them. 23 Grams runs about 350 grains, 26 Grams runs about 400 grains. They average 25’ to 30’ in length which I feel is perfect for 9’ rods and my casting style. I want the mono to T14 loops out of my guides when I’m double hauling, and that length balances perfect while not pulling the loops in and out. Once I get them weighted right, I attach a high end swivel to the leader end and weld the loop with the swivel inside the loop. This is a feature you can’t find on factory shooting lines and it works wonders at reducing twist in your line. The other end I just weld a loop to attach the mono running loop to.  I’ve been fishing these lines for a few years now and I’ve only had one or two of my welded loops break under extreme force, ie, hung up. It’s really nice to be able to control everything about your lines. I build floating and intermediate heads too. I just love the ease of the cast with this style of line and the depth and line control it adds. Of course, your mileage may vary.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

bee

Re: Running Line
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »
Great insights .  thanks for posting the info.  Ive stuck with Teeny 200-300-400 and just trimmed heads as needed, but your roll your own versions can save a lot on line purchases and likely get same or better results.  I will say that casting  more than 20 feet of T-14 with a single hander is not much fun, for me anyway.
 FWIW---
here is a list of favorite running lines in  poll last few weeks  by Speypages  guys:
Airflo Ridge      9   8.04%
Airflo Miracle Braid      6   5.36%
Monic GSP      2   1.79%
Rio Gripshooter      12   10.71%
OPST Lazar      38   33.93%
Guideline Compline      12   10.71%
Other (Conventional) Mono      22   19.64%
Other Coated Running Line      17   15.18%

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »
Really? I'm using a 9wt and it's just 350 to 400 grain so a pretty usual load for that weight rod. Granted it’s what I’ve been using for years now so I guess I’m just used to it. I used to cast a 350 on an Xi2 7 wt.  ;D

I own several of the lines mentioned and I haven't really liked any of the “running lines”. Miracle Braid was like shark skin line, rough as hell on the fingers and pray you don’t get a tangle.  Rio Gripshoot was just horrible. I never really liked the Airflow Ridge either. Another one is Amnesia, it wasn’t bad but too pricey. I’ve looked into the laser line but it’s also very pricey. I’ll have to bite the bullet someday and see what all the hypes about.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:25:23 AM »
Good information here and Mike thanks for sharing your DIY information.

How are you doing your welds?
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

bee

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:05:14 AM »
Perhaps the partial tear in my right shoulder has something to do with the disdain for the single hander casting with long heads of T-14.etc.  I have used a two hander for decades for most of the long range heavy tip deliveries if I am on water that is more swing and less strip( and the spey lines and set ups for those rods).  If I was seriously boat musky fishing in tighter quarters  in the strip and figure  8 world I would definitely tile use your style set up more. 

I agree that some of the rough edged running lines I saw on the Speypages list do make too much guide noise to suit me.

I have constructed some looped running lines (like your t-14 set ups) in the past by using a "reversed" 3 or 4 weight line as the running line.  Older lines with front tapers that are too beat up too use . There is usually about 80 feet of small diameter easy to handle  "running "line behind those worn out front tapers, and much of it has never been off the reel in prior fishing.  Loop where your backing knot is located.  Viola-"free running line ".  I have mostly used that on tips less than 14, more like 8 or less where the deep sink was not as critical.  I find the floating running line just a lot easy to handle form a tangle perspective.  Just some thoughts