Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Crappie day!  (Read 2020 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Crappie day!
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »
Dusted off the light spinning gear and headed to the local Beer/burger/gas/minner store and picked up a couple doz tuffies. Headed waaaay up a creek well away from the crowds. Funny thing about owning a 20' Jet is that people see it from a distance and think if that big boat made it then they can go wide open in a jon boat. More times then not it doesn't end well for them as was the case with two boats today. Wide open in < knee deep river with surface disturbance everywhere. BAMMM! Ouch! Do you stop and turn around,,, if the engine will still go,,, usually not. The first reaction is almost always to act like that was just some freak rock that you had never seen before so,,, you gun it again trying to act like you've done it a thousand times. BAM BANG, SCREEETCH, Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch... Finally give up and float back to the prop shop.

In short the Crappie fishing sucked. Bait fishing for meat has it's place and if the action is hot I'm in. If its not so hot, I'm bored. I lost interest pretty fast. Started birding with the camera. I enjoy that more anyway. Should have gone Musky Fishing.  :o

There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Bfish

• FishHead
Re: Crappie day!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »
Hit a local trib to the reservoir on Wed and Thursday last week.  Figured them out on Wed, got my limit on Friday.  Hopefully heading back out on Tuesday.  Pulling jigs so no minners harmed. :D

PS New to me area, so like you my prop touched bottom a couple of times crossing the siltbar to enter the backwater area. I won't run it on plane (to much risk for me) but saw plenty of others run it wide open (watching to "learn" the deepest way to cross).

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Crappie day!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »
Bummer it was bad day, I ready for a Crappie fry. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum