Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Walter Hill 3/20/06  (Read 2068 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Walter Hill 3/20/06
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:15:56 PM »
I Spent a few hours below Walter Hill today casting a Clouser. This only drew one strike and lots of tangles on the back cast.
I Met David (jerkbait) there and he caught up a few creek minnows. I couldn’t resist throwing one but catching a fish just wasn’t in the plans for me today. He landed one Spot and I zeroed out. Conditions were less then ideal.
Water is up a little but color is good or at least it was. On the way home I saw where it is pretty muddy a few miles upstream from the dam so by tomorrow it may be brown.

If you’re going to wade this river in high water conditions, wear some felt soled boots. That bottom is slick and very dangerous. A TWRA officer found that out a year or so ago when trying to cross the river to apprehend some cast netters.
Which reminds me. I witnessed four Mexicans using a cast net and running dip nets around the rocks then putting fish in a bucket. I reported them to the TWRA poaching hotline.

Multi Tip line got another trial today:
I’m trying out an Orvis 6wt multi tip line and so far it causes more problems then it solves. The tip is 30’ so you always must have at least that much line out. This can be a problem fishing a small river like Walter Hill. The loop to loop section always seemed to be at the tip or getting pulled into the guides making roll casting a nightmare, forget shooting at the end. Also the hinging effect while casting made accurate presentation difficult at best for me.
This is not the first time I have used this line and now I’m thinking it would be a good line to have on a spare spool. When you have plenty of room, and might need different weight heads, it would be right at home. A drift down the Caney casting streamers comes to mind as an ideal situation.

Mike
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Walter Hill 3/20/06
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:03:13 PM »
Any word from TWRA regarding whether there was any follow-up on the poaching call?

You know, technically, the TWRA website says they offer a reward of up to $1,000.00 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of poachers.  The catch is that whenever I've called them to report illegal activity, it never seems to lead to an arrest or conviction.

bd

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Walter Hill 3/20/06
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:49:34 PM »
No, but they didn't ask for my # anyway. I wonder if there will be any poaching going on there this weekend?? ::)
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956