Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Kings are running  (Read 3695 times)

icthus

• FishHead
Kings are running
« on: April 10, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
Went out Friday and shot some and landed a 38” king. After church on Sunday called my pops and went 12 out. We got 3 kings and two mackerel. Not huge but perfect eating size. 

The Fishing is starting to fire up,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Kings are running
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »
Did you eat those? I've heard some folks say they aren't good and some say they are.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »
Yep,
Cut them into steaks, wash out the bloodline.  Marinate them in olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper, and sage for two hours.  Put on the grill six minutes one side and 4 the next.  A lot of people smoke them. I do not have a smoker  so I don’t.

I think the ones that say Kong’s are no good are the same ones who think snook is bad too. 

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
I thought ciguatera and kingfish can be an issue.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »
The larger fish yes, but fish under 4’ there is really no issue. You do have to worry about that bacteria with barracuda. 

-Pal

JoelO

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
We use to catch Spanish and bluefish off the piers (Dauphin Island to Pensacola) when I was a teenager living in Mobile...so much fun on light tackle.  We ate the Spanish...can't remember if we tried the blues.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »
Nice mackerel.  I love finding them, because they’re suckers for a silver flash fly as fast as you can strip it.  I hear those Kings will burn up your tackle.  It would be fun to fight one...and the girls and I LOVE some smoked Kingfish dip!
(It’s somewhere in that picture)

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »
Nice mackerel.  I love finding them, because they’re suckers for a silver flash fly as fast as you can strip it.  I hear those Kings will burn up your tackle.  It would be fun to fight one...and the girls and I LOVE some smoked Kingfish dip!
(It’s somewhere in that picture)

The Kings are a blast!! But I'm not sure how Fly rod friendly they would be? I would think they would spool you in a second, 45 mph will empty a fly reel fast!  And as for eating them.... I'll take a pass on that one. Although they are some of the highest in the Omegas that are so good for you...Nah....still gonna pass!! I think Trout taste bad also, so... what do I know?!?!?!?
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~