Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Fungus thread.  (Read 4033 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Fungus thread.
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
Please don't post locations but I'd love to hear about and see some sucsuful mushroom hunts. It's something I'm really interested in lately. I've been around here a few times this year but haven't found them yet.

Did find this which I'm not sure if its edible but sure is cool looking. Anyone know what this is? It was growing on a dead hardwood.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Re: Fungus thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »
Jay's got some hotspots for Morrells.  He had a good supply last year, and even sold some to a local restaurant.  Between those and walleye....he's got the Appalachian delicacies covered.
I hope to post a few finds when we hike in the upcoming weeks.

As for that thing you found...looks like Jersey Shore labia majora.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:21:28 PM »
 :o I'll refrain from commenting on the texture,, but yea...
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Looper Flies

Re: Re: Fungus thread.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:49:06 PM »
As for that thing you found...looks like Jersey Shore labia majora.

Hahahahahahaha!
Fish on!

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 06:53:58 AM »
Snookie's Cookie? Good luck in your search Mike. Will keep my eyes open but I don't eat mushrooms..
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
Snookie's Cookie?

Ha ha ha ha! Now that is funny.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »
Black Morrells.
Jay's become the Fungi Whisperer.  He's finding these shrooms everywhere.  He gave me a hint to chase up creek valleys in the dense growth and shade they provide.

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »
Dangit Travis, that's a fine haul! They're just about done down here. I hit what I suspect was the last yellow for the season in our yard/orchard with the mower on Monday -- at least it should have spread spores everywhere!

The big morel festival in Kentucky is this weekend. I thought about going up, but have a growing chore list to wade through.

propcheck

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »
hey mike, that shroom looks delicious.... heres my dryland fish from last weekend, and the chicken of the woods was from last summer.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 05:31:19 PM »
Those were some nice finds, propcheck.

Here's another batch Jay picked this morning.

propcheck

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 08:42:57 PM »
nice travis, the black ones are harder to find and taste better imo, the big yellow ones taste good too. I think deep frying these ruins them, all i taste is oil and batter. lightly sauted on butter really brings out the flavor.
mike, go out on a super swampy day in early summer and you will find oyster mushroom on a dead tree near a drainage....bottom of hollors