Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Dams  (Read 2879 times)

madMax

Dams
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:51:59 AM »
Well if Priest, Wolf Creek, and Center Hill dam are to be tested this is the time!! Percy Priest alone has risen from 489ft to over 496 feet in just under 12 hours. At the rate its rising the water levels will be mind blowing. I've never seen anything like this just hope it doesnt burst!!

icthus

• FishHead
Re: Dams
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »
TN has already received the money from the giverment so I have a feeling the dams will be fine.  Ironically, none of the news stations have mentioned the potential for the damn dams to break.  Thats an idea, I should call them and ask them so they can change up the news a bit. 

:-X
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
Good one Craig. Right on the mark IMO...
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
In our local paper yesterday, the Sheriff said the flooding is worse than the projected Wolf Creek Dam failure, he either knows what he's talking about or not.

Grumpy

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:10 PM »
Im going to go with, Not, just like the weather people. People want to blame other things so they can get more money, cover-up mis-calculations, or have something to talk about. 

About the weather people:
When I was in college when Lisa Pattend (sp) stood on the stage at Wheel of Fortune and said, "I have lived here all my life, I know TN weather you can count on me."  Well, she was calling for rain but not until sat afternoon, I was at the ramp early sat. morning and it was raining. I feel like I should be typing fast, I cant get her voice out of my head. I am waling into my kitchen at 5:58, hit the shink at 5:58 and 30 seconds, and then if I stay on that line I will be moving into my hallway by 5:59.  Wait folks, this just in, I have to change my kids diaper.  Lets start over (read above)  Remember folks get in your safe place, disregard all the water flowing in your house, get in your safe place.  How many kids came out of the closet this weekend and said, "Hey look mom, I'm coming out of the closet."   oh yeah she blamed on a the 41mph wind from the south for all the rain.

Well enough of my rhetoric  I'm going to go see what the weather is doing.

Icthus
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »
I stopped listening to Lisa Patton and these other bozos long ago - I swear to the Good Lord above, I beat them in accuracy 90% of the time just by looking outside, looking at my own weather instruments on my roof,  and gathering a few key points of data from the 'net...
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 03:06:34 PM »
In our local paper yesterday, the Sheriff said the flooding is worse than the projected Wolf Creek Dam failure, he either knows what he's talking about or not.

Grumpy

Depends on what water level you start with.  I looked at the projections really closely since my house is on the lake. 

The flood is a little worse than what was projected if the dam had failed with Lake Cumberland drawn down to the emergency repair levels.

If the dam failed at normal pool for the lake the flood would be worse than what we're seeing now.  If it failed with the lake at"100 year flood" levels ABOVE normal pool, it would be MUCH worse than what we're seeing now.

Keep in mind that the emergency drawdowns mean the lake started about 20 feet low, so even with all the rain we're not that much higher than typical summer pool would have been before the drawdown.  That puts us in a lot better shape than if the lakes weren't drawn down.

bd