Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Life is good.  (Read 4450 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Life is good.
« on: June 01, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »
We're here and the place is awesome. We got out for about two hours today just to look around and we caught 3 small snapper on a flash fly. The water here is gin clear and the area is HUGE  Its going to be tough to figure out a pattern so wish us luck. A first time DIY trip to the keys is going to be an undertaking but who cares I'm having a ball.. The people here all love the Supreme and say we are going to have a ball in the back country. I found a big bent plate on the foot of the jet and what appears to be a small Caney Fork rock in the impeller housing ( I got a little brave last weekend). I'll have to perform emergency surgery tomorrow morning and get it all ironed out. Shouldn't be a big deal.

I'd put some pics of the water here but since it's bad weather in TN I won't rub it in yet.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
Re: Life is good.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »
Sounds to me like you are rubbing it in!!!!! ;D Have a great time. :)

BTW dont be too hard on Steve, 18 hours a day on the water is enough.

Jarrod
I just don't care!

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 10:19:43 AM »
the area is so big, it's gonna be so tough.......

Wah wah wah.

Sending cheese to go with the wine, how should I address it?

Mike
101 Flats Lane
Mike's Idea of Paradise,
Salt Water USA

;D

Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:36:42 AM »
I was listening to some Buffett the other day, and I thought to myself....."Mike and Steve sure are some lucky bastards!" ;D

Live it up guys!  Hook a big tarpon for me.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »
Chese was good Ron thanks.

We jumped a school of BIG,,no,,,, REALLY FREAKING BIG school of Poons today. I was running the Jet and by the time I noticed them they were tooo close. MY GOD BOYS this place is the shit. Caught a Shark on my 7 wt Xi this morning, he was fun. I thought it was a Bone.at first.... We saw what I thought were tails but it turns out they are fins. Bonnet sharks I think. We fished to a 4'er but he wouldn't take. Then we had a 5 or 6'er swim right beside the boat when we were running back in. Steve lined a big Cuda and he's in Miami by now. Man these fish are spooky.

The Superme is doing great here! A little rough if the wind gets up but we can run where not many have run before. Having a great time I wish you guys were here. I'm Drinking a damn good Margraita as I type.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 04:35:40 PM »
 :-X KMA    ;D

Jarrod
I just don't care!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »
The Supreme has been imersed in the Atlantic! She did great as far as wave action but the grass was a bit of a pain. On a side note had I brought my Center console I'd be without a lower unit by now....

This time we were trolling up the beach in search of poons and I was gazing at the bottom, what I like to refer to as catching butterflies...Then I looked up and there they were! About 20' direct in front of us but they were moving fast and neither I nor Steve got a cast out in time. They swam right to the boat and turned out to sea. They were in the 50 to 100 pound class. Everybody here says all the Tarpon being caught right now are big. The little guys are nowhere to be found. This is a tough game guys. We're learning.

Curtis Martin

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 07:49:52 PM »
Enjoy it while you can! Good weather, good fishing, good friends, and good tequila? Doesn't get too much better.... too much ;D

Curtis

Travis C.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 09:01:29 PM »
I am going try to get out roll up my shorts, shake off the flops and give the best Flip Pallot I can give chasin Tennesse Tapon wishing I was down there. ;D

Can't wait to see the pics,

Travis

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »
Well we went out this morning on the Atlantic side fishing the flats around the beach. We saw two big Sharks but they wouldn't eat, they had loving on there minds I think. Later on we got to cast to a passing school of Tarpon but not much luck there either. On the way back we stoped and cast to a giant Baracuda and got it to follow but he turned at the boat. He was huge and I'm not sure I'd have ever got it to the boat anyway. Those things can swim at amazing speeds!

We came in at noon and headed to the Key West Saltwater Angler fly shop. The guy in there was from TN and knew all about the Elk and the Caney. He was one of us.... He shared everything he knew I think and got us on our way. Isn't it great when a shop gives you more then the normal BS isn't it. Its a great place and you need to stop by there if you come down!

We trailered and went to the area he recommenced and in a little there was big Tarpoon all around us. We only had about three hours and got several shots but didn't hook up. This is what I came for, huge Tarpon busting the surface everywhere, you have to see it to believe it. Tomorrow we hope to perfect our game enough to hook up. One dude out there got one on a fly but it broke him off. Saw several bait (crab) guys hooked up too. I'm not throwing crabs yet but....

Its day three and I think we found the place. Now we need to adjust our flies, tactics, and prey for good weather...

Racer X

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 10:04:55 PM »
I'm jonesin' for some pics! 

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 10:20:17 PM »
They will come. This is the most incredible fishing! Seeing the poons roll and splash around in the large schools will get your blood racing!

:o ;D

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Travis C.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 07:45:49 AM »
That has my blood pumpin reading it. I gotta get more advanced in my fly skill. I only have one year under my belt so far. I thought last year I have been fishing my whole life and needed to add another dimension to be a more rounded angler with going into fly fishing. Man, this stuff is like CRACK!

;D

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »
Lots of Shark today. Got tired of messing around and bleed a few cudas and hung em in the dip net over the side of the boat. Before you know it we were surrounded by Sharks. A few casts later and it was on. We hooked a bunch but most broke the 15 pound wire. The average Shark was about 4', I caught one that was pushing 6' but he broke off after an extended fight. The Xi2 and Lamson LS did great handling those drag screaming runs. God I love this place!

Leo deMonbreun

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »

be careful out there, those sharks might just be trolling for you guys!
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley