Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: I've seen so much fishery destruction that it's sickening.  (Read 3136 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
And we're about to lose another one. Many of you know what I'm talking about. To all the people out there trying to make yourself famous instagram heroes, selling fishing tackle, selling guide trips, etc. Here's a little something to consider. I've been around these forums and social media every since they were invented. I've seen over and over again what happens. I can promise you that the way things are going it's only 4 or 5 years at best, before another amazing fishery is completely ruined. How many of you enjoy fishing combat style? Floating in a conga line of people all doing the exact same thing? Get used to it because it's inevitable the way people are exploiting everything lately. I've all but let this site die to protect it as best I know how.
Over the last 12 or so years I've acquired enough images that I could have easily used to promote guided trips all over social media that would have paid for my retirement. Instead I've keep it hush and only taken a handful of people who I knew weren't a threat. At some point, if it keeps up, I"m going to put on one of most bad ass slideshows you've ever seen of this special place from the last decade. Hell, I might even write a paperback how to book. So do us all a favor and just STFU and enjoy it for yourself! Catching fish isn't hipster. Catching big fish on a fly isn't a superpower, it's actually very very easy. Enjoying a peaceful, solitary, day on the water is the best medicine ever invented. So please,, don't f it up for everyone.

There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

bee

Re: I've seen so much fishery destruction that it's sickening.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 01:53:39 PM »
I could not agree more with your frustration.It is a sad state of affairs today in the "look at me" world we see daily in regards to fly fishing for stripers,  trout, musky , smallmouth or other  prime gamefish.

There seems to be very little  appreciation or recognition for how fragile our waters are.

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »
I agree :D

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 10:48:21 AM »
Well said Mike and I couldn't agree more.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »

Yes, I couldn't agree more.  I was young and thought I knew what I was doing.  I showed up looking like an orvis catalog, telling everyone I slayed them, where at and what fly.  Then I met a couple of pals; they showed me how to fish the pumpkin seed fly, the d.a. fly, and chuck some small kitty like flies.  Trust was built, and all of a sudden I had a small fly box with some tippet and a dozen flies.  I was catching more, talking less, and experiencing some pretty amazing hatches.  Ironically, I became more secure in who I was, my faith became stronger, and I no longer needed to prove that I could fly fish.  A shrink would say, I was compensating for sports being taken away from me.  Either way, the people I know who know say little, smile, as you walk by are the ones who are the best.  There is one cat that lurks here never post, but is by far in the top 5 best salt and freshwater fisherman I know.

Mike suks for your fishery,
Tarpon are in the pass, shrimp are on the flats, and grouper open this weekend.   Lion fish for lunch today, porgies and snapper later this week.  Florida is a bit warm, but you cant beat the fishing, diving, and surfing,

Happy Memorial Day,
Craig
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

bee

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
I want to clarify that nothing l have said should be construed as any Criticism of DR DDS Musky, and I hope he keeps the photos coming .... ;D

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
He never reveals where he is at, the only time I knew is because I found his fly on a log.  If we are talking about the same person he is one of the most humble and talented fisherman around and his brother was the one I was talking about.

-Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 02:28:51 PM »
Pressure comes creeping in on every great niche fishery more and more.  Don’t know why people try to exploit and “cash in” at the expense of a great fishery where solitude was the norm for decades.

Trout fisheries here are a joke, empty quiet musky rivers are becoming crowded at boat ramps—with scarred up fish..
Our small ribbon fisheries are treasures. People are acting like they can’t wait to devastate them fast enough.
I’ve learned enough to keep quiet, and hold my breath.  Cause around the corner, there’s a fool who can’t wait to ruin it.
Caught 5 muskies in the past week, and more gorgeous/fat  smallmouth in a day than I ever thought possible. 
I want my kids to experience the same thing, so I’ll just keep it in a tight circle of trusted friends.

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »
But here's the thing. Nobody's cashing in on fishing. Seriously. Being a "full time guide" isn't going to put alot of food on the table. If you pay all the insurance, guide license, gas, boat upkeep, flies, tippet, gear, drinks, snacks, etc, etc, you're making about $6 an hour. That's why I don't get all the chest thumping about being a guide. Uhh,,, you know you can make better as a walmart greeter, right? To me it's about networking. Just this weekend I met two amazing people from Costa Rica with some serious connections to some amazing bonefishing and bill fishing. They needed to see Center Hill for an upcomming tournament that they flew in for. Super good folks who booked me again a few days later for another trip. I'm very picky who I take, and I skip about 50% of the ones who ask because their expectations and or attitude and mine were are too far apart. Or their zip code and mine are too close together....
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Dub

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »
Mike, you should come down and fish Guntersville / Pickwick  :o It's so crowded that guys pull up on to the ledge or hump you are fishing and fish the other side or end of it. I know it's much worse on rivers and creeks. We have a outfitter running (canoe hatch) on the Flint River. It's screwed for the most part. I can't wait for Football and deer season to start. I do not know how these rivers keep producing the kinda fish they do. They get freaking hammered! Todd Taylor

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 08:54:35 PM »
The new generation of youtube drone videos are showing all of the landmarks/access points and they do not even attempt to hide where they are fishing. Out of state touring fishermen are even coming through and mapping out where they catch their fish on google maps as part of their you tube video. Sad to see the water getting so overrun.