Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: gallatin steam plant...kayaking  (Read 8514 times)

Striperfishin

Re: gallatin steam plant...kayaking
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »
I fish plastics, but a shad colored clouser or similiar streamer should work well all over the plant. I have caught a lot there on a 4wt throwing small beadhead streamers and the such. I need to get something around a 6 wt for throwing mid sized stuff. My other fly rod is a 9wt and it just wears me out. I fish it on Priest sometimes for the hybrids, but I prefer the light spinning gear.
I really enjoy catching a variety of fish on the spinning rod with 4-8lb mono too. I landed an 18lb striper on 6lb upriver from the plant a few years ago. Mostly though, when I hook into the bigger fish on light line on OH I get broke off or spooled. Doesn't happen that often though and I would rather lose a few fish on line that is too light than catch less fish.

Brian

txnative

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 10:50:04 PM »
I would love to use the fly only, but the wind may interfere. Also, standing in my yak is dicey even  in perfect conditions, and trying to bomb a clouser on a 9 wt in unfavorable winds  from a sitting position makes me dizzy (lead eyes to the back of the head hurt).

I have no aversion to spinning gear, just prefer fly fishing. I'll use the most productive and efficient gear this sunday. When i have a better understanding of the area, i will switch to the fly to make things more interesting.

As far as lures go, if the typical striper fare (flukes, poppers, jigs, etc.) is what you use, i'm covered. If you're using something unconventional, i may need to make a stop at bps. Just let me know.

Chris

Striperfishin

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 11:25:50 PM »
Tiny flukes, walleye assasins, 3" grubs, 3" big hammer and fish trap swimbaits. The Yamamoto swimbait works good sometimes too. All on 1/8-1/4 oz heads fish on light line. I also get some fish on crankbaits , topwaters and small jerkbaits. A Yo Zuri Pins minnow can be a slayer at the plant at times. The largemouth jump all over a small topwater early before the boat traffic pics up too. I'll fish with 5" flukes or other soft jerkbaits too, but usually stay smaller and catch just as many bigger fish and way more total fish.

Brian

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 06:12:04 PM »
spinning rod with 6# mono is a lot of fun, I too prefer the fly, but do fish the spinning rod on windy days etc.A blast for sure :)

JW
I just don't care!

Rusty

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »
I've never been to the Gallatin steamplant.   Do you have to have a boat to fish it?

txnative

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »
Yes, unfortunately. There are signs reminding you to stay in your boat , otherwise you are trespassing.  There used to be a public access road, but it has been closed for years.

txnative

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:32 AM »
If you don't mind driving or crowds, there is a steam plant in cumberland city that is open to the public.  I have had success catching skippies on the fly, tough to cast from the bank, though. Stripers can show up in pretty good numbers and like flukes on jigheads, pink is a great color there. The stripers aren't as big as the ones at gallatin, though. Average size is about 3 lbs, but fish much larger will make an occasional appearance.

Another tactic is to freeline shad off the catwalk, but be ready to deal with tangled lines with people casting from the bank.  Good catfishing there, too. Smaller jigs or minnows will catch white bass, sauger, and crappie.