Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: gallatin steam plant...kayaking  (Read 8444 times)

txnative

gallatin steam plant...kayaking
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »
Anyone up for 'yakking the plant area on saturday ? Going after whatever will chew a fly and would love some company as it would safer. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Bfish

• FishHead
Re: gallatin steam plant...kayaking
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »
Picking up my Jackson Coosa on Friday so it is tempting. But Gallatin is too far of a haul for me.  Tight lines to you.

txnative

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 03:07:35 PM »
Thanks, Bfish. What waters do you normally fish and for what species ?
Congrats on the Coosa, by the way. Awesome looking yak. I thought about getting one, but will probably end up getting either a hobie pro angler or a native mariner. I have a trip to boca grande planned for this june to chase the monstrous tarpon there and wanted something beefier. I need it to deal with fighting the 'poons while worrying about the sharks that chase 'em. Also, a pedal-drive system means i can keep up with a fish and still have my hands free to fight it or wave for help when i am getting towed to mexico :)

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 03:47:14 PM »
From the kayak, I am mostly fishing rivers for smallmouth.  I do occasional fish Chickmauga and WattsBar from the yak for crappie and bass.

I want to get a little more experience handling musky's from my raft or gheenoe, before I tempt to land one from a kayak.  Most of my Esox experience has been with Northern Pike.

I use the powerboat for crappie and sauger and occasionally catfish.

I have raft and pontoons (and float tube) that I use for smallmouth and trout.

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:38:56 AM »
How often do you fish for Tarpon?  Seems like it would be easier to rent a boat once down south, rather than transport and store it up here most of the year. Nothing wrong with your boat choices, but they sure would limit you to just reservoirs with ramp access.  Those two boats you mention are a bear to try and carry anywhere. 

IMO no need to peddle after the fish, kayaks are so efficient that they will easily follow the fish.

PS I am excited about my Coosa. A promo video for you (turn up to 720 for crisper images): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1nq7m97lo&feature=player_embedded 

txnative

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »
The bigger craft would be for big water fishing. I own a mainstream kingfish, its a 12' sot that weighs only 48 lbs, and i use it for everything now. It has a keeled bottom and is great on rivers, but the stability of a pro angler or mariner makes me a lot more comfortable in water i have to share with heavy boat traffic.

Also, space is at a premium on my yak, especially when i want to bring conventional gear to find fish and fly gear to make it more fun. I am obsessed with striped fish and need to be able to adjust tactics when necessary, requiring me to bring enough gear to get to 'em. The bigger boats make that a lot easier.

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »
Not sure how more stability is going to help you.  Width just slows you down, length doesn't make it more stable.  
I am always a fan of testing before I buy.  There may not be enough of a performance difference to justify the upgrade. Just my opinion.

PS I carry up to 7 conventional rods on board my old 14' and 11' Manta Rays, with 2 flyrods in the hatch. No vertical rod holders either. Obviously, it is easier to get into the hatch while on a river.  4 twin-action rod holders on the crate (one on each side and two on the back). Then 2 rods laying between my legs with a foam rod holder gripper on the bow to help keep the rod tips separated, then one more in hand.  

txnative

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:29:08 PM »
I've been on a pro angler, and the difference in stability between it and my kingfish it painfully obvious. The reason i like the pro is that i can store 6 rods in the side storage area, which is similar to a bass boat's rod locker, plus 2 in the vertical holders. On my yak, i can carry 4 on the holders on my crate and 2 more in the vertical molded-in holders. If  i am flyfishing out of my current yak, i have to remain seated (not stable enough to stand in) and the vertically stored rods behind me impede my rang of casting.  I love my kingfish for smaller waters and for the ease of transport, but trying to flyfish out of a more stable boat, being able to fish/fight fish while propelling myself, and having enough room to bring the gear needed to pursue multiple species with multiple techniques are my reasons for wanting a pedal-driven, larger craft.

For rivers and even stability, i think the Coosa is better than either the pro or the mariner, but given my preferences, the bigger craft are a better fit.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 07:18:04 PM »
When the steam plant gets popular I would not recommend a kayak.  I dont say this to keep you off water I fish, I say it because I have seen idiots wake a 14 foot Riverhawk.  If you go in a Yak I would go Mon-Fri.  Error on the side of caution.  I am sure you are great in a yak, and can probably paddled priest from river to lake three times, but that doesn't matter when, bob the dumb ass, has had to many and runs over you coming out of the plant.

My opinion,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Striperfishin

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »
I will meet you at the Plant with the Yak on any day that is not a Holiday or weekend. When I do fish it in the yak, I plan on staying near the bank with a evacuation plan. I have seen some world class idiots there, but it will be nothing compared to the guys on Priest that try to run me over in there bass boats even though I'm sitting in 2' of water.
For those that don't Kayak, if your on a good sit on top, you can't get swamped, the water just runs out the scuppers. I have been fully submerged in surf, it is really no problem. I have many friends that catch yellowtail, white seabass and even large sharks from kayaks in the pacific ocean with 6' swell. The biggest danger is actually getting ran into by a drunk boater.

Brian

txnative

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
I will be with a group of yakkers to help alert others to our presence, but will still be very close to shore and have my head in a swivel. I can only get out after 3 on wkdays, so wkends are better for me. Striperfishin, if your game for it, let me know.

Striperfishin

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »
I could Possibly go this Sat or Sun, though that does go against my no Steam plant on weekends motto. The way I fish it probably wont matter anyway. I don't plan on being in the main channel or canal of the plant. I fish the shallow flats in the Delta of the plant more than anything, unless the wind out there is relentless and I need to get up in the canal to get out of the wind.
Just let me know if you get some people out there and I will try to go weather depending.

Brian

txnative

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 06:21:45 PM »
I'm good with sunday as long as the weather cooperates. It wasn't too bad while we were out saturday. Boat traffic was not scary, but we hung at the mouth till 9 or so. Only one boat came in hot, but we were up near the boils with all the anchored boats, so no problems arose. Everyone else was surprisingly considerate, even got some advice from an anchored group who landed two 20+ lbers.

If you are fishing the delta area, are you still targeting stripers ? If so, then i am very interested in watching you work.

Chris

Striperfishin

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 06:39:17 PM »
I catch smaller stripers in the 2-6lb range out there mixed with huge variety of other fish including lots of walleye and sauger.  All my bigger stripers at the plant have come from up inside the canal  from about half way up, then all the way to the boils. It's fishing for dummies up there though, so I don't often do it any more. If you put out a live skipjack and wait long enough, you will hook up. Not my favorite type of fishing at all. I would rather be casting and moving with artificials.
I will see about Sunday if the weather looks good.

Brian

txnative

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »
Sounds awesome. I love eating members of the true perch  family, and throwing in stripers makes me giddy. Count me in. Just shoot me a pm and let me know what gear i'll need by friday so i can get what i don't already have.

Chris