Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: The Blackfoot on Saturday, Bitterroot on Sunday.  (Read 2984 times)

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
The Blackfoot on Saturday, Bitterroot on Sunday.
« on: May 05, 2008, 06:24:19 PM »
Two boats, 4 anglers.

20 fish between us.

It was a training day for me. Practice on the oars.  I'm telling you, keeping the boat off the rocks and right side up in these swifter rivers is a good workout. If I could do this everyday, I'd be svelte and smokin' hot. Well, as svelte and smokin' hot as a 5'5" tall, bald headed, middle aged dork can be anyway.

This is Deb, Joel's wife. She caught the first fish of the trip, the most fish of the trip and the biggest fish of the trip. That's yours truly standing in the river holding a net and trying to catch my breath.
We were near the end of the float and this thing ate right before a little swift set of rapids. I was trying to row to keep up with the fish and hoping it didn't break off. Got lucky.

Next day I rowed the Bitterroot. Had Joel in the back of the boat and Marty up front. It was a tough day with higher water. March browns were all over the place but no risers.  Joel caught one fish on a march brown spinner dry early in the float.

He was wanting to try a  streamer so I tied on a tandem hook, articulated, black meat whistle that Woodsman tied up and sent me.   About 3 casts later Joel was hooked up.  After a brief battle, the fish broke off. Dang it. It was a really nice fish. Got to see it twice. I'd guess 5 pounds. Not a monster but really would have saved the day.

While I was looking through my box for another big black streamer, Joel tied on his own big black wooly bugger. We were drifting along and I had Marty cast to a spot of color. Nice brownie came up to eat but missed his golden stone dry.  I hollered at Joel to toss his bug in there. He ate again. Came up with this. Nice fish, but probably only 3/4ths as big as the broke off brown.  Still a great day.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

ALflygirl

Re: The Blackfoot on Saturday, Bitterroot on Sunday.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »
Now those are some nice fish!!!  Looks like the weather was nice for your trips.  No more snow????

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:08 PM »
There is lots of snow up on the mountain tops.

No new snow down here in the river valleys in the last 10 days or so. More in the forecast for later this week.

www.wunderground.com zip code 59722 and you'll see.

Winter lasted until the last week of April or so.

Things are starting to turn green.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:28:09 PM »
Good stuff Ron, thanks for the pics. ;)

Jarrod
I just don't care!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »
Ron, that is real nice! That is a nice fish that Joel is holding.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:45:02 PM »
Springtime in the rockies. I LOVE IT!

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 09:55:03 PM »
Nice report Ron.  :)

Your pictures make me miss NM....

Laura and I are kinda hoping and sorta planning on heading there again in the fall for the first time in a few years  since the black-hole/vortex that being an involved bandbad  is.... is now officially over and we should have our falls back!

Not sure yet how the whole sending him off to college thing is gonna play out...even though we got the news last week that he has gotten a scholarship my wallet is still a-skeered and kinda puckering up.   ;D

Gonna go looking for some more morone saxatilis specimens tomorrow....

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 08:41:41 AM »
Great report and pics Ron!
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 09:07:47 AM »
Great report as usual Ron!
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.