Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Bourbon  (Read 5379 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Bourbon
« on: November 11, 2015, 03:50:28 PM »
My go to's have been Buffalo Trace and Bulleit....but I have a new favorite.

Basil Hayden's is about the best I've found yet.   About $33, but I heard it used to be a lot more pricey. Anybody else have some brands they like?

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
Re: Bourbon
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:15:48 PM »
Basil Hayden is a nice one.... You might want to try the Belle Meade Single Barrel. We shared a nice bottle of that a couple of weeks ago with friends.

Here is a nice read:
http://gardenandgun.com/article/great-bourbon-taste-test

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:46:09 PM »
Old Granddad is one I pick up often. 

Here is a good chart (and article) showing "linage", staying within the same distillery and adjust price point to your liking.

http://www.gq.com/story/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

For Manhattans and Old Fashions (which I have more often than neat), I like Four Roses white label or Very Old Barton (86 not 80 proof).

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 08:06:01 PM »
Great graphic!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:04:43 AM »
Eagle Rare is one of my go to's, especially the barrel picked by my local B&M. I like Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig 12 y/o and Taylor. As well, Willet is really good.

And just so you know, don't go chasing Pappy, instead, get Weller. Same family as you can see in the graphic and they are all distilled at the same distillery.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

JoelO

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »
My brother and I shared a bottle of Blanton's when we camped at Elkmont in September...very nice.  I have a bottle of Four Roses single barrel that I haven't cracked open yet...might save that for our spring trip to the Smokies.  Knob Creek and Bulleit are both nice too.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
I've tried alot of them but I always end up going back to Jack Black. Guess it's the Tennessee in me.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
Beam is my day to day--- Bulliet is my holiday cheer, and Elijay Craig beat me down one time and I vowed him off. Eagle rare is tasty, Jack is good but leaves me thirsty in the morning.  A surprise to me was Even Williams single barrel, good price and above average taste.  Knob creek is another good one along with Blanton's. both costly and have to wait to go to Howards to enjoy that bit of art. 

At the end of the day, I have been able to spend many of sunsets shooting whiskey with many people reading this.  It seems the day dictates the great taste of the bourbon more then the actual bourbon. 

Good people don't come easy down here.
Cheers to you,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 08:56:18 AM »
I've tried alot of them but I always end up going back to Jack Black. Guess it's the Tennessee in me.

For Whiskey, yes, Jack Black and Gentleman's Jack.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 10:01:15 PM »