Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cotton Mouth  (Read 18519 times)

TnTom

Re: Cotton Mouth
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »
My Walker Hound was bitten on 2 occasions. First time on her lip the second time on her paw. Never saw the snake on either occasion but she had a hard time. Her face blew up like a twice the size and her leg got huge. The Vet shot her up with antibiotics and anti venom and diauretics. Took about 3 days and she was back to her good old natured self.
I live near Woodbury and the rattler population is "adequate" to say the least. That picture on the first page looks more like a timber rattler.
I had an encounter with a Cottonmouth while fishing OHL a couple weeks ago. I was about 30 yards from shore throwing at the bank and this guy came tearing out to the boat. I saw it coming and wacked him with a paddle as he tried to get in the boat. He swam about 10 feet away and made a turn and came back and I wacked him again. Since then I've put a .38 in my tackle box and loaded it with snake shot. Never had a snake act so aggressive like. Ive been wading and had water snakes charge and flick them with my rod and they beat it. I usually carry my .38 when Im in the creeks but never took it in the boat till that OHL encounter.
Catch, Photograph & Release

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »
I had an encounter with a Cottonmouth while fishing OHL a couple weeks ago.

What part of Old Hickory?  I've never seen one there.

I've lived on Old Hickory for about 23 years - leaving only for three years of school in Knoxville and about a year in an apartment in Antioch.  I moved to Station Camp Creek in 1986, then got a house on Bledsoe Creek for a couple years, and now I live on the lower end on Drake's Creek.  I've spent a lot of time on the lake and there just isn't much ideal cottonmouth habitat there.  It's not swampy enough.

We used to see them all the time when I lived in Mississippi, before my family moved to Tennessee.  One thing's for sure - when you see one in the water, they're easy to identify because they don't swim like a water snake.  If there were some around here I'd like to find them.  I'm not much of a photographer, but I'd like to try to get some pictures.

bd

oldmanelrod

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 04:03:57 PM »
I was kicking around online and found this .pdf, with some interesting information on cottonmouths and how to identify them.

http://www.tennsnakes.org/Cottonmouth%20Brochure.pdf

The range map in the bottom corner of the first page caught my eye.  It lists an "introduced population" of cottonmouths in Coffee County.  WTF?  Who goes around stocking cottonmouths?  ???

bd
From 1990-1997 I lived in Tullahoma. I became friends one of the local TWRA Biologist and one day he mentioned that there was a population of water moccasins that had been introduced by a property owner on a small lake bear or in the Little Duck River near Old Stone Fort State Park. So there must be a few in that area.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 09:39:13 PM »
I have been told by a Nashville bud that Cottonmouths are around Nashville with Spotted Owl Gore's warm spell.

I had a 3 foot Copperhead couple of weeks back in road near my house, that was the maddest snake I ever saw, was trying to bite any and everything. I've spent most of my off time in my life outside, and only ran into 3 rattlers