Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Donaldson Park?  (Read 3860 times)

hungNtree

Donaldson Park?
« on: March 10, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
How slow does the dam have to be generating before you can wade fish at Donaldson Park?  Or does the river stay to deep?

thanks in advance,
hNt
I never lie about a fish.  I might tell it 2 or 3 different ways, but I would never lie about it.

Travis C.

Re: Donaldson Park?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »
It is too deep down there to my knowledge. I fish up there quite a bit. Especially on that end you need to pay attention to the Wolf Creek flows because it will back up in there. A couple weekends ago I was up there when Wolf Creek was pushing around 20,000 cfs and the Obey never dropped out even at the Dam to wade. That was with no generation. Typically the wading water stops right as you enter Peterman bend or just below Moodys boat access.

If you are not familiar with it up there becareful and wear your wading belt. It's not as flat as the Caney and can get deep quick on you being as clear as it is.

hungNtree

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
Thanks Travis,

We use to fish up there a couple of times a year when I was a kid and I'd a swore I could remember people wading and fishing, but I guess I'm mistaken.  We went to the boat ramp right below the dam last summer, but there was a sign there that said no wading.  I was just hopeing to find a place close by for a quick trip this Saturday evening.  :)  Oh well, maybe the Caney won't be generating. 

thanks again,
hNt
I never lie about a fish.  I might tell it 2 or 3 different ways, but I would never lie about it.

RonS81

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »
hungiNtree:  I waded the obey last year. I fished where the creek comes in at the Hatchery. I don't remember the water leavles on the cumbe, I know I drove up earlier and thought, it was to shallow, when not generating, for my boat. If I come back I will bring a rope of my own. The banks are quite steep and slipery.

Travis C.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:11:49 AM »
You can definitely wade up there if the water is off and Wolf Creek is not rolling. You can actually wade from about the Dam all the way to the first bend or "rope hole" as some call it. Wolf Creek is only running one generator @ 3600 and Dale has some periods of no generation. You can wade that for sure.

Be sure to take lots of midges and soft hackles with 6x at least tippet. You should have a good time.

RonS81

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »
Thanks Travis: I forgot to say small tippet and flies.