Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Florida Bound  (Read 5090 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Re: Florida Bound
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 05:16:11 PM »
Milestone Day today.  Fished solo in the Sea Ark. Got a later start after a thunderstorm passed, and wound up stalking a very small spooky pod of tarpon that would unpredictaby gulp about every 2 minutes.  I began to think that casting was hopeless as the fish stayed well out of reach.  Then a great fish surfaced and took chase to my fly.  He ate and missed three times before I stuck him.  The battle was awesome, somersaults, cartwheels, and rattling gills.  I chased him around the bay, as he tried to stay under the boat.  Couple girls on a jet ski stopped by and helped me take photos...probably around 60 lbs.  Pics to come.
I've daydreamed about catching a fish on this flat for the past 5 years.  As good as it gets for me.
TW

TheYiman

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 05:23:35 PM »
Awesome Travis!  Can't wait to see the pics.  Congratulations!!!  ;D

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 07:23:54 PM »
Congrats Travis!
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
Way to go MAN!!!!!!! that's awesome!!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

Looper Flies

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 07:12:49 AM »
Awesome!
Fish on!

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »
Congrats!

Travis C.

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »
Can't wait to see the pics man... Awesome!

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 06:17:34 PM »
Heading home tomorrow.  Got another balmy morning on the flat for a couple hours.  Same scenario...Couple of lazy tarpon rolls very sporadic.  Let the wind drift me into the few fish.  Stuck a real nice 40 lber that I fought for about 2 minutes with about 15 great jumps, before he spit the fly on a twisting backflip.  Late morning, the fish disappeared, Crystal called me ready to go to the beach.
 " 10 more minutes.". She agreed
On my last pass, bidding farewell to my empty favorite tarpon flat; I began blindcasting to open choppy water, I hooked and battled a 30 lb fish that would not quit fighting.  Wore him down boatside in about 15 minutes.
As I got him to the boat....I nervously realized the dilemma of solo tarpon fishing...
You have to take a leap of faith to handline the shock leader and control the fish's lower jaw.....while praying you don't miss and break or lose your flyrod.  I really lucked out on this yesterday.
I got a firm jaw grip with my gloved hand...but he thrashed like a musky and I lost my grip.  Luckily the fly came loose and I left the water with all my gear, and a slightly bent hook. No photos, but yesterday's fish was the best one anyways.
I'm so blessed to experience Two more great encounters with these fish.
Gonna hit the Jetty tomorrow morning before sunrise,  then its back to East TN.

Looper Flies

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
Sweet dude.  I'm drooling just reading this stuff.
Fish on!

MN Fishing Bum

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
So jealous.