Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Snowbird and Neighboring Creeks; NC  (Read 15168 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Re: Snowbird and Neighboring Creeks; NC
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:35:44 AM »
I've been hearing that the best time to target those fish is durring a high water event. I was just wondering if low clarity is a big factor in higher flows.

There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

troutwag

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 12:27:27 PM »
No, after a day of no rain the water clears.  Lately is stays higher, alot of rain has fallen.  Since new year's eve right at 10" as last Saturday.  I need to post a picture or two of what it looked like when it was rolling, pretty awesome.
Best,
John

troutwag

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
One more thoght; the full moon seems to be a magnet along with high water.  These seem to be triggers to draw the fish into the creek or river.

Curtis Martin

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »
Hey John, Sorry it took me so long to figure out who you were. Thanks for the e-mail updates on the salmon when I was wanting to a Michigan trip. Didn't make it this year, but I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for 08.

Those chromers are awesome, especially to be so close by and all.

Keep us posted.

Curtis

troutwag

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »
Thanks Curtis,
Figure out a weekend to make the trip over there!  Let me know if you are coming, I will do my best to meet up with you.
Send some warm air east!
John

troutwag

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 02:24:04 PM »
Hey folks,
I am going to report that the run seems to be about over.  Weekend before last produced no fish and this weekend just one.  I will get a picture of it posted when I get a little more time.  One of your guys from the Nashville area; Steve Baker  came over last Saturday and he caught the fish.  It was 16 or 17" and a very strong male, kept his rod bent for the better part of 8 minutes.  A very colorful fish with a slight kype.  Certainly enjoyed fishing with Steve, he represented you all well!
I am afraid that is about it for the run though.  If I have different luck next weekend, I will certainly report it.
Best,
John

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
Awww shucks!!.. :(.  I was just planning on making a trip up that way this weekend.  How coincidental it is that you posted this message just when I was about to contact you for a report.  My buddy and I may have to plan something else.
John, it seems that you have a fine stream to fish, and I look forward to fishing it with you some day--maybe next season or sooner.  I've got the South Holston and Watauga close by my home, and it's often hard to leave them for other rivers...let me know if you ever decide to make it up this way.

Travis

troutwag

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »
Travis,
Thanks, I may take you up on that.  I used to work that territory in a previous job, so used to fish the SH.  It was good then, but since the slot limits on the browns I hear it is even better.  Need to get back up there.
Tight lines,
John

troutwag

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 10:26:57 PM »
Well Folks,
I was mistaken, the run wasn't over.  I had forgotten about the moon phases and high water effects.  Last weekend was a good one, I didn't catch but two fish but one was a certifiable beast.  The other was a pretty brown that took a streamer, while being stripped back upstream on a sinking line.   I fished a couple of slow hours Saturday am and had nothing to show for it.  Had friend who guides out of Franklin, NC show up just as I was coming in for the morning and I managed to talk the little woman into another hour to fish with him..... still pulled a goose egg.  He stayed and fished another hour and a half said (no pics!) that he took 5 fish from 15 to 20", said the largest was male with a nice kype.    .  Anyway this one took a size 8 tungsten bead brown stone fished about 5' below a big indicator in a deep run.  The creek was running high with maybe a little color left in it from the 1.5" of rain we had the day before..  The creek rose about a foot overnight and was still ~ 4" higher than it had been the day before, perfect water to perk up the sulking fish!  I stuck but lost another one that felt to be every bit the size of this one.  Sunday will be my last chance before the end of the month.. :'( (unless I can talk a customer into going!)I will be there though.  If any manage to go, if you see my old blue wagoneer; stop and say hi. 
Tight lines,
John

tnridgerunner

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 06:31:58 PM »
I've never been able to fish on my trips there, but it is beautiful country and water. I can recommend this place--expensive, but wonderful food and atmosphere, all within a few minutes of streams and the lakes.

http://www.snowbirdlodge.com/

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
Looks like a great place for the first annual TFTN get together!
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »
 8)I'm all for it!
I just don't care!

troutwag

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »
That is a very nice place, the pictures don't do it justice.  Kids 12 and over.  I'll offer a shameless plug for our place, sits right on the creek.   Rents by the weekend or the week, and set up for flyfishermen!  I walk to every one of the holes where these fish have been caught.  I won't take up space on Mike's site with pictures but if any are interested, then shoot me an email.
Best,
John

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 12:13:10 PM »
Looks like a great place for the first annual TFTN get together!

I'll cook if the wife lets me go!

troutwag

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »
Sumoscud!  That is one prosperous belly!