Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Ruby River, MT, Trip Report  (Read 4524 times)

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Ruby River, MT, Trip Report
« on: October 13, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
As mentioned in the General Discussion thread, I got the chance to go back over to the Ruby for a couple of days.  Had a good time.  Good to get back over there.  If you want a cool place to stay with some really cool folks, check out  Ruby Springs Lodge in Alder, MT.  Long story but the owner invited us over to see his operation.  Treated us like kings.

We chose to fish on our own and did well.  There are a couple of fish pictures in here and a couple of others that Joel or I will also be posting on Zach's site.

Here's the photoessay part.  Sorry my pictures are not very good.  I haven't learned this danged camera yet and I can't see the screen without my reading glasses.  Really wish this camera had a view finder like my old one but, I'll figure it out.

Caneybuff and I stayed here, in Twin Bridges a few summers ago.  The sign has changed a little but the place is the same.

Late lunch/early supper at The Shack, just a block towards the go light from The Stone Fly Inn.

Valerie the Pizza Chef, Danielle the waitress with the great smile, pizza and a Beltian White draught.  Notice Joel's fork in the beer shot? That's the only time it was moving slow enough that the shutter could actually capture an image of it.

Caught all of our fish on a bugger.  I tried for two hours to catch them on everything else while Joel fished his favorite bugger and was consistently catching fish.  I'm not a big streamer fan so I fight it tooth and nail, but after two hours it was evident that it was for sure a bugger day.

Joel

Ron

Had lot's of fun, caught lots of fish, ate great food and drank great wine. And Whiskey. And Whisky. 

Never did accumulate any snow on us, though there was some that blew through.  It was very cold and I had 4 layers of shirts, two sets of long johns, two jackets, waders, fishing cap and stocking knit cap.  Still had to time out to de-ice rod guides and hands from time to time. 

Good times.

Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

Looper Flies

Re: Ruby River, MT, Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:27:08 PM »
Sounds like it was worth it to brave the cold.  Great pics!  I'm certainly jealous.
Fish on!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:44:06 AM »
Nice report Ron I like the food shots. You didn't happen to leave your camera at that restaurant did you?

There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Kylemc

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:15:39 AM »
nice report Ron 8)

RonS

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 02:00:09 PM »
Nice report Ron I like the food shots. You didn't happen to leave your camera at that restaurant did you?

Doh!!! Why didn't I think of that. Then maybe I'da had a couple of reasons to go back. Dangit! ;D
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

ALflygirl

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 07:43:40 PM »
Hey Ron....
Cool pics! I saw the ones on Zach's site too. You look kinda "grumpy" in these photos!!

Rachel

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 06:20:16 AM »
Hey Ron....
Cool pics! I saw the ones on Zach's site too. You look kinda "grumpy" in these photos!!

Rachel

I'm thinking he looks frozen :o then again, he did have to fish a bugger.

Grumpy

Grumpy

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 07:55:33 AM »
Ron, thanks for sharing the photos. You look cold!.  :o

I really need to come out and visit the area, it looks so beautiful.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

RonS

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »
Hey Ron....

Rachel

I'm thinking he looks frozen :o then again, he did have to fish a bugger.

Grumpy

Grumpy

We have a winner!!

That is my cold, bugger face.  Not to be confused with my cold booger face, which is similar but more snot laden.  Anyway---

I wanted to catch a fish on the Ruby with a fly that Caneybuff had tied but they just weren't having any part of it that day.  Not where we were anyway. Maybe up by the dam but we did not get the opportunity to fish up there.

I had it dropped beneath a bug of Woodsman's but the darned fish just wouldn't cooperate.

Since Grumpy has the name Grumpy, you can call me GOPh, pronounced gawf, when I have to fish a bugger to catch regular size fish.

Sincerely, 

Grumpy Old Phartzen.

(still had a good time and would do it again tomorrow if the opportunity presented itself, even with a bugger.)

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:26:46 AM »
Nice report. Sure sounds cold though...
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

Caneybuff

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 07:40:25 PM »
I love Montana, I love pizza, I love the Boo Boys and the Shack and the folks that run it/work there, esp the gal who was a waitress for lunch and a dancer at the strip club in White Horse at night.. or was that part a dream?  And heck yes, I love it when Ron makes a post from there .. dangit.  dangit.  dangit.