Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Preist 5-5-12  (Read 7637 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Preist 5-5-12
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »
I took the family out on the Pontoon Sat and had Priest all to ourselves. Caught White Bass and Hybrids every cast for a couple of hours before dark. We cooked brats and burgers, swam, jammed on the radio, rode to the dam, located a new Bream spawning bed, had a large time, spent lots of money. We sat out on a gravel island and watched the full moon rise in the east while the sun set in the west and pondered many questions about our universe. Will be doing again real soon. Dale Hollow is on the short list.

The fishing was so fast and I was teking turns with everyone catching them so I didn't take any photos. They looked like the usual Preist White Bass and small Hybrids.

There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

mrl0004

• FishHead
Re: Preist 5-6-12
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:30:44 PM »
That sir, seems like about as perfect a day as can be had. Well done!
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

jladdsmith

Re: Preist 5-5-12
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:58 PM »
Mike,

That boat was built for large times. 

Dad and I used to go out 3-4 times a week on our "poontang boat".  Hauled it with a 1956 Chevy we called the "Blue Cloud".

Mickey Gilley, Ricky Van Shelton and Randy Travis tapes blaring.  Wish we would have taken more pictures.  Best of times!

-J

Travis C.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:46:18 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun Mike. That one reason when my girls get a little older I want to buy a pontoon boat.

Dale is really nice in the summer for trips like that. You can drop a light at night time right above the Dam then kick back cook a meal and wait for the eyes, trout or whatever else to come in.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:46:41 AM »
Very nice. Looks like a great time on the water.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TheYiman

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
That looked like an awesome time on the water!  :)

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:14:14 PM »
Thanks guys it was a great weekend.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Ramsay

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »
Hey Mike - Just joined the forum and am new to fishing in Mid Tenn. Hopefully, I'm not violating any unwritten rules by asking, but can you or others  share some info as to locations, lures and techniques ? I'd like to launch my kayak and try Percy Priest And other local waters, but am clueless about launching points, good fishing areas and best lures to use. Thanks!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »
Not at all. Tell us know more about what kind of fishing your looking for.

Ramsay

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
Mainly spincasting for whatever's biting- bass, hybrids, crappie, bream.

Occasionally, fly-fishing, but harder for me to do from kayak.

Thanks

DSchlact

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
Lots of great access points on Preist for a Yak...East and West Fork Recreation areas, Fall Creek Recreation Area, Mona, Jefferson Springs...those are the access points I am most familiar with and within a reasonable paddle of some good fishing for the bass/bream/crappie/stripe you are looking for.  I'm primarily a spin-fisher too (I have a fly-casting disorder that so far as been uncurable)...in-line spinners (roostertail, panther martin) and carolina rigged soft plastic worm/crawfish are my favorites on Percy Preist but you'll do well with Spinnerbaits and Crankbaits as well as pig-n-jig too.

The ramps I mention are on "my end of town" and more on the "river" end of the lake...I'm in Murfreesboro, so if you are in Nashville or looking to explore another part of the lake I would imagine others will chime in and provide some suggestions.

I'd just pick a ramp and go exploring...that's how I've found my favorite places to fish.  Not always the most productive places, but the places I enjoy to sit, float and cast.

You will also find some good information as well as maps of access points out on TWRA's website...good place to spend some time poking around.  I usually stumble on something new every time I click around on that site.

Dave

Ramsay

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
Thanks, Dave. Good info. I live in south Nashville so would like to hear some launching point suggestions that are closer. I'm trying Hamilton Creek tomorrow .