Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: White River  (Read 4361 times)

icthus

• FishHead
White River
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:08:05 AM »
Went to the White River with four other Pals last week, and its not all its cracked up to be.  The fish are there, and there are a lot of them.  If its all about catching fish then you'll love the place.  Without exaggerating, Sat going up river we probably passed 200 boats, generation forecast was scheduled for .5 generator 90% of the day, but they ran 5 generators for 2 hours and dropped it back down to one.  I'm not a man who like to float fish, so that schedule didnt do it for me.  

There were some great laughs, good fish, and great food, but overall not worth a 7hour drive and a speeding ticket.

Blessings
Icthus
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: White River
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 08:28:47 AM »
 Without exaggerating, Sat going up river we probably passed 200 boats, generation forecast was scheduled for .5 generator 90% of the day, but they ran 5 generators for 2 hours and dropped it back down to one.  I'm not a man who like to float fish, so that schedule didnt do it for me.  

Blessings
Icthus

I guess that's why i like the Lil Red, 5 hour drive & places to get away from people.

Grumpy

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 09:26:24 AM »
I've got two trips under my belt to the White, I like it but when my FFF club goes (twice yearly) it's for 8 days, I wouldn't want to go over for a short stay, but my days of making 1 day trips to the Smokies are over, heck 2 hr each way to the Caney is pushing it for me these days.

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »
Man talk about craphouse luck. The day we arrive they cranked the generation up at both dams.  :-\ Ohh well, not what we came for but I do remember how to throw a 6wt and a 250 streamer express. I think my third cast produced this fish. Needless to say we thought it was ON!!!              NOT!
And don't be lusting after my Striping bucket in the background. ;D I built it myself for under $20 and I like it as well as the pro trim.

We caught several smallish Bows and Browns the rest of the day but nothing photo worthy.
Went back to "camp" and started getting some streamers tied up to match the White River fauna. Our accommodations were pretty nice and made the high water less frustrating at the end of the day.

If you can be upset after waking up to this on your back porch you need help.

Notice how stressed Jarrod looks... Settle down buddy...  

Second day was pretty much a repeat of the first. High water all day one decent Brown on a Streamer and lots of dinks.

The third day we found some low water by the dam and had a blast catching Rainbows in the fast dark bottom water, and risers in slower water. Just like on the cumby,, when they're running water find any island with slow water and still pools to the lee side and there you will find some monsters.  Holy crap there were some giant Bows in those pools and we got a few of them but you had to wade through so much vegetation that I elected to leave the camera in a safe place. It was classic looking water with big oval pools, all kinds of seams of differing speeds, reverse flows, and big spooky Trout sitting high in the gin clear water column. It was very technical fishing. Even a shadow from your line would send them outa sight. I LOVED IT!!!

It was a fun trip and one I haven't had to make in several years. I miss what we had here and I hope we get it back soon. I doubt I'll drive to the white again. I'll head to LA and do the Redfish next time I get the traveling jones.

Looking down towards Wildcat Shoals on the last day there.

There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
Nice pics. Sounds like a good and bad trip all rolled into one. Glad you had a good time.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »
This was a great trip for me. I was more interested in a little time away after working 65 days straight :-\  and what better way to spend it then out of town on a river with friends . We managed to make the best of the trip and the time around the camp fire was great!!!!
I just don't care!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 08:37:51 AM »
This was a great trip for me. I was more interested in a little time away after working 65 days straight :-\  and what better way to spend it then out of town on a river with friends . We managed to make the best of the trip and the time around the camp fire was great!!!!

That is the important part. Having a good time with friends.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »
What's the material on that bucket? Looks really good -- and are you making any more?!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:02:36 AM »
I could make more of them if anyone is interested. Cost ya about $50. It's just a round white waste basket mounted to a rubber square stepping stone.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »
Nice report. Nice accomodations, Four Seasons?
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 01:24:56 PM »
that is actually The Ritz Cotter. Very nice.
I just don't care!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »
Mike,

I am interested. What did you do for the spines in the basket to keep the line separated?

Thanks,
Steve

I could make more of them if anyone is interested. Cost ya about $50. It's just a round white waste basket mounted to a rubber square stepping stone.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
Nothing. The pro trim doesn't have any either. They really aren't needed but if you wanted they could be added easily.

Kylemc

• FishHead
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »
Nice. I am heading down to the White in Feb. hoping to catch the shad kill. It's gonna be bitchin.

Kyle