Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Couple of questions on rod repair  (Read 4922 times)

jladdsmith

Couple of questions on rod repair
« on: May 20, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
Have been missing the second section (from the reel seat side) from a 4pc 5wt rod for at least two years.  Recently got my car back from the ex and found the section sitting in a little dip in the rear back deck under the back glass.  Other than in a fire, can't imagine a worse place for a rod to be stored!  The UV rays have gotten to the wrap epoxy and that is now yellowed and chipping off in big chunks on one of the guides and the other is just slightly cracked. 

It's not a very expensive rod, but I'd like to save it anyway without too much expense or time.  It was my first "real" fly rod other than old fiberglass hand me downs.  Bass Pro White River Classic. 

Was thinking that on the eye with the exposed wraps that I could let some super glue soak the wraps and then use Sally Hansens Hard as Nails to top coat.  Would the super glue be too brittle?  Should I just skip that step and use Sally's? 

I guess the bigger question is the integrity of the carbon in the rod itself after sitting under the back glass for so long.  It looks fine.  I haven't loaded it up yet with line, but did a pretty violent wiggle test and everything seems ok.  The carbon is not coated or finished out.  Just bare blank. 

Thanks guys.

jgray

Re: Couple of questions on rod repair
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:15:31 PM »
I've heard of folks using Sally's as a temporary patch.  I'm not sure how to do it right without stripping all of the epoxy off and rewrapping the guides.  You could do it in an evening or two...

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »
Superglue will destroy it. Just buy some flexcoat, a cheap rod turner, and fix it right if your gonna do anything.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

jladdsmith

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:02:36 PM »
Superglue will destroy it. Just buy some flexcoat, a cheap rod turner, and fix it right if your gonna do anything.

Hey Mike, you're right.  Might as well throw it in the can if I don't do it right.  I've been needing a nudge to get into rod building anyway. 

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:20:25 AM »
No Sally H either, you can cut notches in a shoe box to turn the rod once FlexCoat has been applied, just reach down every 20 seconds & give it a little turn..

Grumpy

jgray

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:59:18 AM »
I use Spar Urethane for wraps.  It is not as durable as epoxy, but it dries quicker and more level than epoxy, and is easier to touch up.  It produces a very clean looking wrap with minimal build-up (i.e. no mini-footballs of heavy epoxy all over the rod).