Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Bear Relocation  (Read 8018 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Bear Relocation
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
I read where the park averages 5 Bear relocation's a year. That's quite a few bad Bears (yes I know it's people causing this, not Bears) being introduced into outlaying areas. Seems a little dangerous to move a human curious Bear from a policed Park enviro where ignorant people have taught it not to fear humans, to a wild enviro where human contact is most likely to occur on a remote trail. Do they tell where they are relocated to, or would that make them too vulnerable to hunters? Are they marked for future id in case they are involved with bad behavior again?

There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Bear Relocation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
For the record, I think they should Drug Dart and move the people who violate the rules in the park to the remote areas.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

owengrad

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »
Very good recommendation! "Relocate the humans."
Jim

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 12:45:23 PM »
For the record, I think they should Drug Dart and move the people who violate the rules in the park to the remote areas.

Add a little chlorine to the gene pool.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Travis C.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »
Here's a study that was done regarding "Homing of Bears"  Mike:
http://www.bearbiology.com/fileadmin/tpl/Downloads/URSUS/Vol_3/Beeman_Pelton_Vol_3.pdf

The summary excerpt:

"From 1967 to 1974, 76 nuisance black bears were moved to other parts of the
Park. Most nuisance bears were males (87 percent). Bears less than 4. 5 years
old comprised 20 percent of the nuisance animals. There was no significant
difference between the ability of inexperienced adults and inexperienced juven-
iles to home. Within the range of distances that bears were moved (5. 8 to
64. 8 km), there was a significant difference between homing and distance trans-
planted, i.e. fewer homing with greater distances moved.

Experienced male bears were significantly more likely to home and homed in
less time than inexperienced males. Bears released on the periphery of the
Park were significantly less likely to home than bears released in the central
part of the Park.

Bears seem to be strongly motivated to home. A bear's home range probably
provides psychic needs as well as physical ones. They likely find their way
by random wanderings combined with learning and memory of areas previously
traversed. Other means of navigation were not tested in this study.

Creating conditions that reduce the amount of unnatural food available to bears
is probably the most basic management tool for eliminating the transformation of
'wild' bears to nuisance animals. Selection of release sites is also an important
consideration in handling nuisance bears. "

oldtimer

• "The mountains are calling and I must go."
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »

I'll agree with that Mike!   Except, I would re-locate them to some remote island in Alaska with lots of brown bears for them to feed....

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 06:01:14 PM »
late 90's I was up Hazel Creek, talked to a ranger, he said that was where bad bears were taken to get a second chance, I could believe him, place was thick with bears, one extreamly large one.

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:39 PM »

X2!!!!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 07:13:45 AM »
Several years back, they moved some to the BSF area & several of them found their way back to the Park.
They've been seeing one recently around Putnam Co., have to wonder whether it is a roamer or relocated.

Grumpy

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:41:15 AM »
There have been more reports of bear in Van Buren Co. as well.

bee

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »
For many years l have been in a leadership position with a foundation that has funded much of the black bear research in the GSMNP..there are many bears that have found their way back to the GSMNP from distant relocations..some from a states not contiguous to Tn or NC.   Generally all relocation bears are  examined by biologists, then tagged and/or tatooed so they can be ID'd if found elsewhere or back in the GSMNP.  Some have been moved several times.   Bears have been seen in many Knoxville neighborhoods in last few years.  One actually broke INTO the Knoxville zoo a month ago(yes, not out of the zoo but INTO the zoo-apparently attracted by animal food smells).       

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 07:23:05 AM »
I agree with the human gene pool. I remember a story years ago when bears were showing up in West TN, They finally trapped one, found out that a contractor that was relocating problem bears from ARK to New Mexico figured he could make more money by dumping them in TN.

Grumpy

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:38:10 AM »
Interesting. Bee, do they usually use ear tags and if so does this mean if I see a tagged bear I should be extra cautious?

bee

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »
i dont think the bears are relocated because they are dangerous per se--rather they have become addicted/uncontrollably attracted  to garbage or human food.   Some work their way out of the park  and break in to houses or other food storage areas, many just become panhandlers around campgrounds or dumpsters.   The bumper stickers around here that say "Garbage Kills Bears" are an accurate portrayal of the problem.   They are moved for their own protection.   traditionally GSMNP bears are cowards and completely non-aggressive to humans (except f they want food you have in your hand).   I had a smokies area cabin and ran them out of the house with a broom if they got in while looking for food .   There have been some attacks and two fatalaties  in the last decade, one in the park and one in polk county.  I think those two deaths are complete aberrations, and may be the only bear attacks deaths   in the southeast in a long long time (maybe ever).  Black bears in the NW US or British Columbia are completely different critters in outlook and can be very aggressive to humans.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the insight Bee. The encounters I've had so far were in open areas and the bears wanted nothing to do with humans. My fear is walking up on one when I'm hiking or fishing alone. I know it's gonna happen so the more I hear stuff like your post the easier it'll be to not crap myself when it happens.