Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Motor on driftboat  (Read 6186 times)

JEMdad

Motor on driftboat
« on: September 18, 2019, 04:52:49 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with a small motor on a drift boat? I have a 15' Stealthcraft skiff I'd like to put a small motor on to be able to motor upstream and avoid some shuttles. What HP will work against about 3500 CFS?  Looking at a 2, 4 or 5 HP. Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, or what? Do you need a 15" or 20" shaft? Where in  middle Tenn area is a good place to consider a purchase?

Appreciate any advice anyone has.

icthus

• FishHead
Re: Motor on driftboat
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 05:05:24 PM »
There was a dude who had one on a drift boat and was ridiculed for disrespecting the sport.  I think it was a 20hp, always go with Yamaha.  On a side note.... I used to fish the reds and that made people mad too. 

Grumpy or thumper or mike will know,
Good luck and cheers,

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 06:24:19 PM »
I have a neighbor who fishes the Elk in a Stealtcraft, uses an 8ph 4 stroke, every one I've seen were long shaft

owengrad

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
FWIW, I have a 6hp Tohatsu (they manufacture small hp, 15 hp and under, for Yamaha, Mercury, Nissan) on my Hyde LowPro! It will get you back upstream at 3500 CFS; as long as you are not in a hurry (with 2 persons and $h!t loads of gear)! An 8hp should be ideal. Onlineoutboards.com is in Dickson, TN, and has reasonable prices. YMMV

Jim
Jim

owengrad

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »
I forgot to add: call Steathcraft (Mike Batke (owner) is super knowledgeable)! He will make you the best recommendation for your needs. Also, he is a genuinely good guy.

Jim
Jim

JEMdad

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
Thanks to all for your comments. I think I will contact Mike at Stealthcraft for his input. I had been afraid the 5 or 6 HP might be too heavy, but apparently not.

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 06:08:26 PM »
Curious what Stealthcraft said.... they were very helpful when I was restoring my discountinued 12 ft drifter.

A lot depends on your hull shape (ie will the boat plow water or slice through).  A 9.9 hp outboard is the same weight as a 15 hp (same block different carb/gearing).  4 hp -8hp are usually around 60 lb (+ or - 10 lbs).  I believe Honda has the lightest 4-stroke (2.3 hp) at  38 lbs but I think it is short shaft only. 

If weight is really a concern, look for early 80's air cooled 2-stroke (EPA regs killed them off).  Very loud, think weedeater.  Tanaka/cruise'n'carry/Ted Williams/Eska/Tecumseh/Sears Gamefisher.  Also new grey market from China are available.