Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Once-in-lifetime fish found in local lake  (Read 8144 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
Re: Once-in-lifetime fish found in local lake
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
There's a big difference between a bluish walleye and the blue walleye that used to occur in the Great Lakes. 

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
Alright big guy, have you or anyone you know ever caught a "bluish" walleye?
Dave   

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »
I don't understand the need to knock down someone's accomplishments. If I caught it on a fly rod would that validate it in your eyes? I have discussed this catch with Mark Rominack the biologist and outdoor writer, tv show host ect. Sent him pictures. He congratulated me on my rare catch. He also informed me how rare it was and that there is a couple of lakes in north west Ontario that have a 50/50 ratio of gold/blue walleyes. Northwind lake near the more famous Nipigon lake for one. No one knows why they occur with that ratio there.
Dave   

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »
Who first clued you in on what that silver walleye was?   ::)

http://trophyfishingtn.com/smf/index.php?topic=6291.0

I don't think gaspergou was knocking your accomplishment; he was just saying there's a difference between catching a rare fish and an extinct fish.  I saw an albino squirrel once.  That was neat.  But if I'd seen a passenger pigeon, it would be a different ballgame.

bd

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »
bd, I do. But that's ok. Mark was the one that clued me in after you pointed me in the right direction. No offense to you. He is an expert, you are a guy on a forum. In my interview, I told Mike from the Tennessean that it was a very rare fish and not an extinct fish. The headline reads once in a lifetime fish not an extinct fish. I've caught tons of walleye over the years and have never seen a silver one. I stated in the article that it was in the gene pool of the Erie golds as Mark informed me. Any assumptions made by others is their deal.

Dave   

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
Gasper is a working fishery biologist and a teacher. Knowing him I'm positive that his comment was not meant to belittle you because you didn't catch it on a fly or have anything to do with tackle.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
So what you're saying is that he was belittling in a general sort of way. I have had so many shots taken at my expense by eletist fly fisherman, I guess i'm sort of gun shy...
Dave   

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 01:42:49 PM »
I'm not a mind melder but I know David pretty good and he isn't one to belittle anyone publicly. He's a man of few words, fishes with gear on occasion and is a far cry from a fly fishing elitist. He is however one of the most worldly traveled and knowledgeable people I know on the subject of anything fish.

I'm so sick of this gear war shit. You troll in a lake where nobody that I know fly fishes. Why your taking shit from fly fishermen is well beyond my comprehension. I think you might be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with elitist fly fishermen. To my knowledge the replies to your posts have all extended congratulations to you on every post you've ever made here. I see some nasty comments on the article. Those people aren't anyone I know and not representative of public comments made on this board towards you.... Don't get drawn into that stupid argument or mindset Dave. Your a great angler no matter how you go about it. Leave the petty bullshit for the children to play with.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »
Thanks Mike, I've never had a problem with anyone on your forum. It's always been on other forums. I generally feel welcome here. Why he thought to the need to set the record straight, I don't know. I've been forthright from the beginning about what we caught.
Dave   

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
David,

My post has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with how you caught it. There's a world of difference between a bluish walleye and the blue walleye that formerly existed in the Great Lakes. I've personally examined specimens of it that were collected back in the 1920s and preserved in museums; they had much larger eyes that were set closer together than wallleye, and were otherwise fundamentally different from all other walleye, sauger, pikeperch, whatever. They should have been recognized as a valid species rather than a subspecies. They were formerly abundant enough to support a substantial commercial fishery (there's a great discussion of this in Trautman's [1983] Fishes of Ohio) and used different spawning shoals at different times of the year than sympatric walleye. They're gone, period. A former colleague was working on the formal description of the southern walleye from the Mobile Basin (which is really dang close to extinction, too), and we got to play with all sorts of neat specimens (including blue walleye) for comparative purposes. Talk about blue walleyes that were stocked somewhere years back and have survived... well, it's just talk, and it distracts from real conservation efforts on underappreciated and understudied fish like southern walleye.  

"Bluish" walleyes (but otherwise normal) occasionally show up in various places across the range of walleye, and folks always seem to jump on them as being the "last of the breed" or whatever. They're as special or unique as a piebald deer or an albino bullfrog.

Congratulations on your axanthic walleye, looks like it was a nice fish.

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
Re: Re: Once-in-lifetime fish found in local lake
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »
I think people get a little jealous of the fish you catch. I know I am. Much respect!!

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

fishfindergeneral

• www.trolldhl.com
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »
Thanks Yoda, and Gasper, that's what I've said the whole time. I'm not sure if you read the article. In the interview I told Mike about the lakes in Canada where they show up regularly. I have never claimed to have caught an extinct species, just a rare fish...
Dave   

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
Gaspergou,  FYI, I have an original edition Trautman.

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
Gaspergou,  FYI, I have an original edition Trautman.

It's an awesome read, especially the parts about historical conditions...  and so far out of print that it's worth a pretty penny.