Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: River Smallies?  (Read 5451 times)

Curtis Martin

River Smallies?
« on: March 23, 2008, 10:49:14 PM »
Anybody do any river smallmouth fishing on the fly? I don't hear much about it, so it's either really good and top secret, or it's not worth the effort. I have no idea where to begin but I am looking for something different. Any input would be appreciated ;D

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Re: River Smallies?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:15:21 AM »
Its worth it if you fish the right places. I plan to go on alot more SM trips this year.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:05:56 AM »
Calfkiller at HWY 111(Sparta Hwy) bridge
Upper Collins
Upper Caney
Three that I haunt and they seem to fish best during June and July usually during the hottest part of the day.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »
I've found that in the early season (which is now).  The larger fish (fatter females) are very aggressive toward larger minnow patterns as they are staged in shallower gravel bars and tucked behind current breaks in the swifter rapids.  My brother and I have caught some beasts on jerkbaits this time of year (4-7 lbs).  A few weeks later after the beds are dug out, you can catch large #'s of smaller males on the shoals...but you have to bounce the bottom in swifter water, and this can be quite tough with a fly. Crowds get thicker at this time too.

My game plan (since it's my first "REAL" season chasing them with Flies) is to target the early season feed with larger minnow imitaitons on the tops of the shols.

Good Luck,

Travis

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:34:36 AM »
I ve had good luck on smallies in the duck around Columbia on Crawfish patterns in the summer. Yes they are worth it and yes they will give ya a great ride. One method I use is swinging patterns in riffles on the side of eddies. I guess it looks kind of like a crayfish or minnow tumbling in the swift current then I use a slow retrive to come up the current break.
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:34:48 PM »
On tailwaters, does anyone catch them year round? I've not targeted them much here on the Elk but plan on doing so this year. Wonder if I'd be wasting my time this early in the year?

madMax

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:46:41 PM »
I flyfish for smallmouth but also find I catch most of my fish in May-June -July mostly on big topwater poppers etc... This time of year you can definitely have luck throwing some minnow immitators and such if you can get it in the right spot.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
Waded a set of shoals Saturday in the afternoon, and found a few smaller ones up in the shallows.  It's only a matter of time before the bigger ones move in.  They're being caught in the deeper slower water right now.  The morning bite is supposed to be great everywhere......just gotta beat the guides.

Travis

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 08:39:15 AM »
What leader/line set up are you using with those wiggle minnows?
Healthy looking fish...

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 09:09:06 AM »
I was throwing a 250 grain sink line with 30lb Fluoro tied to 10lb flouro tippet.  Loop knot to get the proper swimming action on the fly.
I used floating line on my heavy weighted buggers (size 2 and 4).

I've usually got to tie several of the flies, because not all of mine always swim on track...still working out the kinks, but atleast 2 out of my every 3 are swimming good.

Travis

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 09:27:19 AM »
Thanks TWiles, I just picked up 1/2 dozen of those wiggle minnows from maniac and am still getting used to fishing with them. How deep was the 250 grain line able to get the fly down?

Maniac

• He may look like an idiot and talk like n idit but
    • AlphaTrout Outfitters
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 09:35:18 AM »
Nice pics Travis!

Kylemc

• FishHead
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
nice pics bro...

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 03:03:55 PM »
That fly sure is getting alot of good publicity lately. More to come!
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »
man, I've been pounding the "home-waters" and having great luck!  Alot of nearby water is up, running, and very dirty, but the fishing is great!  If you can find the cleaner, slower water in the shallows, back eddys, and inside bends (esp. near sturcture) the smallies are there to be had.  I've caught alot of FAT spawning smallies and also alot of huge red-eyes as well.  I've been reading alot of nymphing books lately and employing some new (for me) techniques with great succes on the smallies.... 

I've been sticking to big, heavy black or brown Wooly Worms and big, heavy Crawfish patterns - anything that will get down & deep quickly.  I Gotta get some of those Wiggle Worms to try out as well...  ;)

"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead