Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Chickamauga Crappie Are On Fire!  (Read 2630 times)

rsimms

• Scenic City Fishing Charters
Chickamauga Crappie Are On Fire!
« on: March 23, 2007, 07:20:18 AM »
Good grief, what an afternoon (Thursday) on Chickamauga Lake! I believe it might have been the most crappie taken per hour of any day I've ever fished. We fished from about 3 pm to 7:30 pm. I don't count every fish, couldn't have if I tried today. But I'm pretty good at guesstimating the keeper-to-throwback ratio. I'd say today we caught a minimum of 5 or 6 fish for every keeper, and we had 27 keepers. David Travis and his son Josh had a blast, as did I. They came down from Murfreesboro to camp at Harrison Bay a few days. But as soon as camp was set up, we hit the water. Took a little while to find the fish, but once we did, I don't know how many times we'd have 3 or 4 rods go down at once... and several times we'd end up with all six rods reeled in with a fish flopping on each before we could cast one back out. It was the true definition of "fast & furious!" Sure, it's a little aggravating catching one short fish after another, but I'm not complaining. Caught a lot more white crappie today than I've been seeing, probably 20% of our keepers were white crappie. The fish were ganged up on a flat adjacent to a creek channel, anywhere from 7-10 feet deep. Slow-trolling 1/16th oz. tube jigs or Panfish Assassins. Color didn't matter. They hit them all. You know the fishing is hot when you can't hardly find a place to park at the boat ramp on a Thursday afternoon.

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Re: Chickamauga Crappie Are On Fire!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 11:08:40 AM »
Those two look familiar, looks like Josh enjoyed himself very much. 

Is Chick one of the lakes that still has a 30 crappie limit? I can't remember which I read were cut to 15.

Nice catchin. I'm itching to find them from the bank somewhere. Soon, they will be here soon.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

rsimms

• Scenic City Fishing Charters
Re: Chickamauga Crappie Are On Fire!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »
Those two look familiar, looks like Josh enjoyed himself very much. 

Is Chick one of the lakes that still has a 30 crappie limit? I can't remember which I read were cut to 15.

Nice catchin. I'm itching to find them from the bank somewhere. Soon, they will be here soon.
Yes, Chickamauga creel limit is now 15 per person per day... I don't object, although I'm still bummed out because I believe TWRA is "picking on" East TN reservoirs without considering a similar creel limit on other lakes across the state. In East TN they based reduction at least in part on "angler surveys" that showed fishermen favored a reduction. But they didn't even bother doing the same survey on Middle and West Tennessee lakes.