Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: FLA Keys  (Read 2918 times)

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
FLA Keys
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:05 PM »
My dad and I are off in a couple of months for a 3 day fishing adventure in the keys - two days of south keys fishing and one day of fishing on islamorada we are going to be fishing for Tarpon, bonefish, Permit - Does anyone have any pre trip preparations  that they would make ? Has anyone been down there fishing in April ?

TFTN Admin

• Administrator
Re: FLA Keys
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:49:09 PM »
Be sure the guide has a stripping basket/bucket and if not invest in a GOOD one to take with. Be sure to take some sink tips in case the winds are heavy. Sink tips can save a windy trip although Iím not sure how they would work on a clear shallow flat? The Tarpon where I went last summer loved a little fly that was nothing but several clumps of silver and gold flash tied on a hookÖ
Relax, have a good time and take lots of photos no matter what the weather and the fishing does.
Drink a Margarita for me while your there !
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly. ~Thoreau

jbarnes

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 10:15:49 AM »
West TN Fly,

My brother Jerry, my boys, and I will be going to Big Pine Key the end of March. We try to go every spring. Iíd rather go in April, but we have to time it with spring break. By April, the weather has normally warmed enough to have the migratory Tarpon there and on the flats consistently. March can be hit or miss. Permit and Bonefish should be great as well.

When youíre in Islamorada, be sure and have breakfast at Mangrove Mikeís Cafť. Itís the hangout for the local fisherman, and one of the best breakfasts Iíve ever had.

I donít have much experience with a fly, so I canít give any suggestions today, but we plan to make it a big part of this years trip. When I get back Iím sure Iíll be able to tell you some things not to do.

And finally, if you havenít been to the Keys before, be prepared for the temptation to put everything up for sale and start packing when you get home. Itís just part of the trip. ;D

Jeff

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
What is it in man that with a nice area and awesome fishing makes him want to pack up and move. I travel alot with my job sometimes a different place every day or two and I see and fish alot of places I would love to live , but when I get close to home , I get excited to get back to my home waters and soon forget about the desire for another place :)
I just don't care!

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 10:49:23 AM »
Does the Keys have high mountains and lots of snow, 4 definite seasons? ;) I'm glad lots of people like living in Florida ;D HAD to live in St. Augustine for 6 weeks back in 98 (work and on the beach) and I was one sad puppy missing the green hill country of my birth.

TFTN Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
I was one sad puppy missing the green hill country of my birth.
That's what vacations are for. ;D I think I'm just crazy enough to live in lower FL 365 days a year if I could. No more pollen and snorting and snoting or sore aching joints in cold weather. Unlimited seafood and great fishing. Yep I like tropical weather very much!
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly. ~Thoreau

jbarnes

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 11:14:38 AM »
I said temptation, Tennessee is home. But a 100 lb Tarpon on the end of your string takes some
time to get out of your system.

Jeff

Curtis Martin

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 11:26:25 AM »
I said temptation, Tennessee is home. But a 100 lb Tarpon on the end of your string takes some
time to get out of your system.

Jeff

That's why I only fish for stockers on the Caney. Why one trip to Fergie, British Columbia or maybe even to God's River and there would be no coming back to TN.

Ya'll are making it hard for me to be a responsible parent with a wife and 2 children at home. I think I'll just keep fishing for the litle guys 8)

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »
I was stirring the pot ;D, had lots of invites but never been, may go to Port St. Joe this spring. I keep a saltwater reel "just in case" I give in to the sin.

Got a new friend that is temping me with photo albums of Christmas Island and Northern Australia. You only go through this world once.

Heck when I go to Montana, takes me month or two just to get the interest up to put on the waders and go.

I'm sitting here in my "suit", turning this thing off and heading up towards the stocker water to see if I can sting one before I have to return to work tomorrow.

Mike, I use to keep sinus infections, stopped up all the time, about 7 years ago I went to my Dr. thinking I had another of my usual infections, turned out to be good ole Tennessee allergies, put me on Allegra, been like a new kitten ever since.

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »
Jeff I am going to be fishing with a guy out of Cudjoe key ( about 23 miles from Key West ) Double Haul Charters and then we are going north to islamorada to fish with another guide for a day - the hotel that we are staying at is right next door to Mangroves Mikes place - I have been throwing a 9 ft 9 wt with DC line on it for a month or so now for practice do you think I will be ready to fish when I get there I have the double haul down real well and I am throwing the line around 45 to 50 ft with ease thanks for your post John Paul

RSiegmann

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 02:47:49 PM »
If you've got your double hauling down and can punch 40'+ into a 10-15mph wind you should be fine ... looks like they're calling for a little wind around Nashville next week ... so you might want to get out there and practice just a little bit more ... the wonderful thing about the Keys, is there are plenty of little mangrove islands and grooves where a guide can put you to get you out of the severe winds, but you will have to undoubtedly deal with a little wind regardless ...

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »
Thanks again Jeff I will be sure to post a bunch of pics with me and a couple of fat tarpon - permit ( well what ever the glorious fishing gods will allow ) I will fill everyone in on the trip when I return but thanks for the advice

wil2hike

• Calvary Outfitters
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
Have you used this guide before?  I'm going to Key West the end of March and was thinking of trying some flats fishing.  Anybody have any good recomendations?  thanks

jbarnes

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »
wil2hike

I don't know about Double Haul Charters, West TN Fly may be able to give you information about them. But I've been on trips with a couple of guides out of Key West that I would recomend.

Mike Bartlett (305) 797-2452 www.keywestflats.net
Peter Heydon (305)923-1892 (305)293-9474 www.keywestbonefishing.com

Both of these guys run Maverick flats boats, they are very knowledgeable and professional. A couple of years ago, I went on a night Tarpon trip with Mike Bartlett (jumped 10-12 tarpon in 4 hrs). Last year I hired both of these guys. I went with Mike and my two older boys went with Peter. My oldest boy got a 25 lb Permit. You won't be disappointed with either of them.

Hope you have a great trip.

Jeff

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 10:09:26 PM »
Check out Double Haul Charters the captain Rocks - Great Guy, You know all of those guides down there know how to find fish, and most of them know how to catch fish, I look for someone that knows how to treat the customer - I am not going to pay that kinda of money and be yelled at all day by someone - but there are about 250 fishing guides throughout the keys happy hunting - if you want to you can check out Scotts web page, Orvis site, or Sage, Thomas and Thomas all of those fine companies have licensed  and endorsed guides to choose from