Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Mountaintop Bass - a Coosa TR  (Read 2326 times)

TheYiman

Mountaintop Bass - a Coosa TR
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:15:22 PM »
Every summer my in-laws plan a short getaway for my wife, her grandfather, and myself.  The five of us usually head to the mountains of WNC.  I am always down since I know the area well.  This year they switched it up and rented a cabin a little closer to home.  They like to vacation by chilling at the cabin, reading books, enjoying the view, and generally staying put.  That is not my idea of fun.  Gratefully, they understand my outdoor addition and give me no grief about getting out and exploring while they rest.  Every year, I am able to track down some nearby waters to spend my time upon. 

I was fortunate that this year's destination held the possibilities of chasing a small bass known as the Redeye or Coosa.  I have had these on my list to land for awhile and was stoked to finally have the opportunity to fish for them.  A nearby drainage was supposedly loaded with them and, even better, they were natives.

Dogger was glad to join us.  She spent 9 days at camp while I went to the Keys last month, so we couldn't leave her behind this time.

I had planned to fish alone as I frequently do, but at the last minute my FIL wanted to join.  He had never fly fished before so I knew I would spend much of the day in instructor mode, but I was cool with it.  We hiked down into the gorge and were greeted by a clear stream with willing Coosa Bass.  I landed one on my first cast. Nice.

While teaching him to cast, this pretty Bluegill came to hand.

The numbers were not high that day, as I spent quite a bit of time helping him with the many of the nuances of fly fishing that we don't even think about anymore.  He did land a few.  And looked like a kid in a candy store in the grip and grin with his first fly caught fish.

The cabin we stayed in must be owned by an avid birder.  It was loaded with great taxidermy.  This gobbler looked over us in the living room every evening.  My wife's grandfather thought it was really creepy, but I thought it was awesome.

The following day, my wife wanted to do some exploring and I purposely left the rod at home.  We checked out the sights and enjoyed some flora that we do not have back home.

Winged Sumac - one of my favorite little trees.

Found a bunch of these that were ready to go.  Picked them till we had purple fingers.

The last day of the trip, I woke up at 0500 to get in a few early hours of fishing before we headed home.  I was rewarded.  I reached the stream a little after 0600 and spend the next 2 hours catching tons of Coosa.  At times it was unbelievable.  Most of these fish were tiny - in the 5" - 7" range.  It didn't matter.  They were the species I was looking for and they are not known for getting big.  I finally landed one a bit bigger then two more of substantial size for this small creek.  Most of the time, I felt like I was trout fishing for bass.  Fast water with quick runs and turbulent pockets.  I fished a popper all morning.

Upon further investigation of the photos when I got home, I believe these two larger fish to be a Spotted/Coosa hybrid.  They had most of the markings of Spotted Bass with the distinctive blue coloration of the Coosa's.  The blue doesn't show well in the photos but in person their faces and bellies were a bright blue hue.

Last fish of the trip

I hiked out with a shit-eating grin on my face. Made it back to the cabin just in time for a big breakfast of eggs, ham, biscuits, and blackberries.  My in-laws are already planning to book the same place next summer.  Sweet.

TFTN Admin

• Administrator
Re: Mountaintop Bass - a Coosa TR
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »
Very cool!
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly. ~Thoreau

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »
That looks like an amazing place to hike/explore/fish..... glad you were able to share some of your time out with family.

Looper Flies

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:10:59 AM »
Looking good bud!
Fish on!

TheYiman

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »
Thanks fellas.  Brady - it was great taking my FIL down there with me.  He says we wants to get a pair of wading boots and join me on some wades around here.  His feet were killing him after wading in "aqua-socks" all day.  They worked, as we all know wading boots are pretty nice.

jladdsmith

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
Looks like a fun trip.  Gorgeous scenery and Dogger looks like he's having a good time too.  That grist wheel could be worth quite a bit if it were recoverable.  I guess that's what that is? 

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »
Looks like a really good time. Bigger fish look like spots or Alabama Bass (the Mobile Basin spots that just got split out of spotted bass). You do know that folks are now recognizing several species of redeyes, yeah? Guess there's some more trips needed... ;)

http://biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/view/zootaxa.3635.4.3

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 07:57:24 PM »
One of the best reports on this board lately, Thanks for taking the time to post that.  Next time put a lipper in and give us a selfieeee.  When you are up that early make us some eggs, with cheese.  "I like cheese" ….Just kidding Pal.

-Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Steve Howard

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:19:51 PM »
Very nice TR. Awesome report.

Eggs and cheese, yummy….  ;)
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 08:23:41 PM »
Happy Early Birthday Pal (monday), I know that not because we fish together and I wax you every time we are on the water, but because this damn Facebook told me.

Just kidding…not to sure how to use Facebook,
I hope you have a good one tomorrow and thank you for your friendship,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

TheYiman

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »
Jonathan - that was a grist stone.  I have a fascination with them.  Getting it out of there - GOOD LUCK!  That gorge is deep and steep.  It has probably been there a while.

Dave - thanks for the info about the Coosa and the link to that research paper.  Maybe I did get lucky and stick a couple nice specimens?!  I was pretty jacked up about them that morning after catching tons of small bass.  Those fish certainly did not come from water that I would think a Spotted would hold in - fast, pockety, like a trout stream.

And next time I'm up that early, I'll probably hit Mickey D's for a BEC on the way to the stream.  I am lucky to remember to grab some caffeine on the way out the door.

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »
Nice.

For quite some time I have wanted to hike/fish/kayak that canyon.

Steve Howard

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 08:19:21 AM »
Happy Early Birthday Pal (monday), I know that not because we fish together and I wax you every time we are on the water, but because this damn Facebook told me.

Just kidding…not to sure how to use Facebook,
I hope you have a good one tomorrow and thank you for your friendship,
Pal

Thank you my friend!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »
Those bass match the gorgeous scenery.  Looks like a fun summertime getaway.  Nice TR, JR.

jgray

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
Beautiful fish, scenery, and trip report.  Thanks, JR!