Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Gheenoe 15'4" remodel---Finished May 2014 :)  (Read 57161 times)

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
Re: Gheenoe 15'4" remodel
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »
Coffin box, it's what Gheenoe puts in the boats, they offer with a casting deck front arrangement. It will house my trolling battery. get the weight more centered, I fish alone most of the time. Living on the bank of the Elk River and having Monday-Thursday off, it will see lots of use.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
Looks great!  As you know I've done the same general project.  I went the glassed-in-wood route versus glassing foam as a cost-saving measure.  Epoxy is about the most expensive thing in any boat.  I think you were very smart to put in the false floor; mine is configured with scuppers to allow water to drain down.  That ironically had the effect of keeping me fishing for a couple of outings before I realized I had worn a hole in the nose beaching the boat.  It's up on sawhorses right now waiting for me to glass on a new noseguard.

Is the center seat thing going to be a live bait well? 

Good looking boat.

Zach

Seat, inside will be battery, onboard charger, buss bars for electrical connections, will be wired for trolling connections front and rear.   mounted on back side will be charger plug, two LED switches (bilge and nav lights) trolling motor breaker.

ZachMatthews

• FishHead
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 08:37:39 AM »
This is looking amazing David.  Is that rhinoliner on the bottom?  Probably a good idea.  I've already patched the nose of mine once due to scraping it off on rocks.  That time I packed the inside with wetted-out glass to make a firmer backing and then did multiple layers of glass over the bottom of the nose before re-painting.

Zach

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
Line-X

This is the 2nd Gheenoe I've had it on, Mike has it on his Supreme and the Gheenoe dealer in Lynchburg has it applied to lots of boats for his customers.

It's not bullet proof but takes the wear off the fiberglass and is quieter.

David

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »
It does a great job of protecting the gel coat.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
My old man did something like this in the early 80's to get our first fishing vessel.  I remember him coming in of an evening smelling like resin.  10 years later and a couple surf boards in he taught me how to fix a, "stick" to get ready for the next swell.  That is a good looking boat… I hope you find as much pleasure in fishing it as you do fixing it. 

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

oldmanelrod

Re: Gheenoe 15'4" remodel---Finished May 2014 :)
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
David are you still using the subject gheenoe on the Elk? I have not fished in two years so no opportunity to see your greenie on it.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 11:56:03 AM »
No I sold it last July

I got tired of spending more time cutting river salad with trolling motor than fishing, TVA release schedules, putting all my fishing time from my Shawnee. I'd rather chase Carp than those dink indicator stockers.

bee

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 07:44:04 AM »
Impressive rebuild by any standard.  I have an older and smaller gheenoe that is a pond boat but am tempted to undertake your kind of project.  Probably won't happen but I do envy your work and the result. 

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 08:19:52 AM »
Thanks Bee

Much research, studying, measuring, was fun, I'm always building something, took much longer than expected, had to work around the weather.

I keep thinking about building a mold of a design in my head, pop a glass boat off it

oldmanelrod

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 09:14:16 PM »
David, Did you ever use your Gheenoe on the Caney Firk?

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2018, 06:26:41 AM »
Never made it to the Caney, had it on the Elk from zero to 3900 cfs, never put it on high water but TVA put us on high water a few times. You need to know your boat and anyone in your boat on any higher release.

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »
Yep!  Brings back some memories DD.  Me  You and some HIGH Water on the Elk!  WoW

Never made it to the Caney, had it on the Elk from zero to 3900 cfs, never put it on high water but TVA put us on high water a few times. You need to know your boat and anyone in your boat on any higher release.

oldmanelrod

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »
Yep!  Brings back some memories DD.  Me  You and some HIGH Water on the Elk!  WoW

Thank you for the info. Thinking maybe this summer will float from Hurdlow to Old Dam.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 09:13:47 PM »
I wouldn't wait to long, can get dead about a mile below Ferris Creek (Hurdlow) due to stocking practice, USF&G mandated warmer water releases