Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cape Fear Coast, NC -- a tidal tailing adventure for father and son  (Read 2613 times)

Looper Flies

My final stop in my two week trek was the small coastal island off of NC called Oak Island.  My family and I met in Knoxville at the end of a long week of slaving over the keyboard, banging out audio programming code, and generally keeping out of trouble.  We made the drive to OKI with one thing in mind -- RELAXATION.

My dad and I booked a trip with Capt. Seth Vernon of Double Haul Guide Service, per the recommendation of Grumpy (thanks, grumps!) and we were greatly rewarded with another fine time with father and son.

Seth is from TX/LA, but spent his early time in Boone, NC cutting his guiding teeth on troots in Western NC.  After bouncing around in Alaska, he made it back to NC and has been guiding out of Wilmington since that time.

Seth Vernon

Seth and my pops

We met Seth at 1:00 and quickly got on the water.  He's got a great little Beavertail Skiff which is a blast at full speed running through the creeks as the tide comes in.

The wildlife out here is just beautiful.  We even saw a 400lb loggerhead turtle nosing through the grass after some crabs (no pics though)

We started seeing tails about 2 hours into the day, and THAT will get your blood pumping.  If it doesn't, then go ahead and call the funeral home 'cause you ain't alive.

I missed the first few attempts --- these fish are SPOOKY!!!!!

It was dad's turn next.  He is a gear guy, but the reds don't care.

The fish ate, but ended up spitting the hook after a great 5 minute fight. 

It was nearing the end of the day, and Seth took us to one last tidal pond where the fish hang out before the tide is finally gone.  We jumped out of the boat and started to wade.

I missed the next two and it looked like that could be it.  I said to Seth, "say a prayer, dude".  His reply -- "i've been doing that all day!  I know what will work -- I've gotta pee.  It will never fail: as soon as I get my d*ck in my hand, the fish will show."  Guess what.  TAILS!

Ok, go slow.  Nice and easy.  Don't spook him.  Cast right in front of his nose.  Ok.  Leave it.  Slow strip.....  strip.... strip.. strip strip......   STRIP!!!!!!

Nice 6lber

What a time!  Look up Seth if you ever make it that way.

Thanks for reading,

Sam
Fish on!

TheYiman

Re: Cape Fear Coast, NC -- a tidal tailing adventure for father and son
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
Another great report!  Thanks Sam.  Those are some great pictures, I love the ones of the tails.  And I'm with you, that gets my heart pounding!  Was that a snake swimming across the marsh?

Aquaholic

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »
That was a sweet TR.....I guess Beryl didn't give you any trouble?  It sort of dwindled when it moved North

We got blown off the water for 2 1/2 days in SC.

Looper Flies

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »
Another great report!  Thanks Sam.  Those are some great pictures, I love the ones of the tails.  And I'm with you, that gets my heart pounding!  Was that a snake swimming across the marsh?

Yep, that was a big black snake.  It got caught in the grass when the tide came in.  He said he knew  Jarrod... :-X

That was a sweet TR.....I guess Beryl didn't give you any trouble?  It sort of dwindled when it moved North

We got blown off the water for 2 1/2 days in SC.

We got knocked out of fishing on Wednesday, but Thursday was extremely calm with wind well under 13 knots.
Fish on!

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
Great looking water man.  Everytime I pass marsh like that in SC and GA....I think to myself: man I'm missing something good.  Looks like some great flats to share with your father!

Gary

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
Awesome fish!   Glad you had a good time. I'm heading over to Carolina beach in a few days. Taking the new kayak and have no plans but to fish and eat.  Got one trip booked on Monday. What flies did you have luck with? Any help would be great.

Go catch a fish,
Gary