Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Blue Sky Crappie  (Read 2041 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Blue Sky Crappie
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:14:57 PM »
Man, what great weather!  This is the nicest time of year to be in Memphis.  I managed to sneak my canoe off to Horseshoe Lake---about 40 minutes into Arkansas, and take it easy with some good ole crappie fishing.  I figured since the spawn was over, I wouldn't have much luck, but I still managed to find a few pods.  I used the poor man's fish finder and trolling motor.  Basically, I just trolled 3 tandem jig fly rods with spinning reels, and moved across a large sand flat until they got bumped(who needs sonar?).  Then when my battery had died, I just paddled to keep the boat moving.  The last 2 photos were two fish caught together on the same rod (I almost boated a 2 lber!).  It was a nice getaway and a great dinner.

Travis

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Re: Blue Sky Crappie
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:37:53 PM »
Nice report. Looks like great fun.

I completely missed the crappie here this year. I was doing a good job of being able to check for them in the river where I could wade to them and be able to catch them in years past. This year though, weather and rain was off and I wasn't able to catch up with them when I had time to try.

I miss my crappie.  :'(

Glad you got some though.
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:43:36 PM »
Yum.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:31:49 AM »
Yum indeed  ;)

Here's some crappie Memphis style.  I didn't know it would work so well.  It's my best fried fish garnish yet...just sprinkle it on after their fried.   Unbelievably good!
It's a good thing I'm leaving Memphis; Otherwise I might get fat (er) doing this.

Travis